Chapter 10

Chapter 10

DANNY’S POV

                So, today was a good day.  At least I think it was.

I made some friends; Karmen and Seb.  I was also reunited with old friends; Gary.  Downside of today, I made some enemies; Jessica and her mom.  Overall though, I think that people will like me more for getting rid of her. 

As I drove home from school I cranked the music again.  I think it’s become a ritual by now; I started singing along to the radio.  It was another song that I knew really well.  Well, I know most songs extremely well because I listen to the radio all of the time. 

Usually I can control myself, but when my current favourite songs come on I just can’t help myself.  Enrique Iglesias’ Tonight I’m Loving You blasted through the air.  This time I made sure my windows were rolled up before turning the music even louder and belting out, “I know you want me, I made it obvious that I want you too.  So put it on me, let’s remove the space between me and you.  Now rock your body.  Damn, I like the way that you move, so give it to me. I already what you wanna do.  Here’s the situation, I’ve been to every nation nobody’s ever made me feel the way that you do.  You know my motivation, given my reputation; please excuse me, I don’t mean to be rude.  But tonight I’m loving you, oh you know.  That tonight I’m loving you, oh you know.  That tonight I’m loving you . . .”

When I got back to my house—well Derek’s house—I unlocked the door with the spare set of keys that he had given me this morning.  I threw the keys onto the kitchen table after kicking off my shoes and throwing my bag over a coat hook. 

It was my first day of school and I was fortunate enough not to have any homework.  It might have been because I raised too many commotions, or it could have been because I was already further ahead than some of my classes were.  However it had happened, I was grateful, because that meant that I could spend my afternoon doing things that I loved. 

First things first, I would do some cooking.  Mom and I always cooked together.  It was kind of a tradition.  Each year on my first day at a new school, we would spend the afternoon baking.  Sometimes it would just be cakes.  Other times it would be muffins and cookies as well. 

I wandered into the kitchen and looked around for some cookbooks.  Derek didn’t have any in the kitchen, so I decided to go up to my bedroom and look on my laptop for some of my favourite recipes.

When I walked into my room I suddenly felt a gust of cold air assault me.  It had been rather chilly outside, but this morning I hadn’t had time to open up my window.  I was too busy worrying about what I was going to wear for my first day at Northridge. 

I grabbed my cordless phone off of my desk and called Derek’s cell.  “Come on, come on.  Pick up Derek,” I yelled at the phone.

It couldn’t yell back at me because it was a piece of plastic, but if it could, I had a feeling that at that moment, it would have enjoyed hitting me over my head.  Plastic can’t move either, so I safe on account of death by my cordless phone.

The ringing ended and Derek’s voice came through the phone to my ear. “Hi this is D, I’m currently unavailable to take your call.  Please leave your name, number and a message and I’ll get back to you.”

I hung up.  What good had calling D done?  I still had to worry about why my window was open.

After setting down the phone I walked over to the window and looked outside.  Nothing seemed out of place, there was no black car peeling down the street, and no intruder hanging from my balcony.  I looked down one more time and choked on my tongue as I saw something.

There was a footprint beneath Derek’s bedroom window.  And a ladder right beside it.  That didn’t explain why my window was open, it only told me that something might have happened to Derek.

I turned around and started to run towards Derek’s room; only to be brought up short when I noticed the gun that was pointing right at my head.  There was a silencer on the end of the muzzle; and let me tell you, it’s not very comfortable to be held at gunpoint in your own room.  In a place, that you thought was safe.

“Don’t move a muscle,” the voice commanded.  I remained still, doing as I was told. 

The figure walked towards me and I kept my muscles locked.  I would not let the masked figure frighten me.  All I had to do was keep my cool.  “Keep your cool Danny and everything will be fine,” I thought to myself.

The masked figure walked even closer to me and I was able to pick up the smell of his cologne.  It was musky and woodsy.  There was a hint of that elusive smell that only comes right before a rain storm.  Mm, he smelled really good.

My intruder was cloaked all in black.  He had black pillow cases tied around his shoes and a ski mask covered his face.  His hands were enclosed in black leather gloves and he was wearing black jeans and a leather jacket.  No skin was visible, but that didn’t keep me from lusting after my mysterious intruder. 

Lusting? 

No, I couldn’t be lusting after him.  I didn’t know what he looked like, or who he was.  There was no way that I could be craving the kiss of a dangerous mystery. 

He had his gun trained right at my temple and the gun cocked, before he moved his hand to the side of my face.  He caressed my cheek gently for a minute before his hand pulled back and he back handed me.  I tasted blood in my mouth as my teeth clamped down on my tongue to keep me from screaming out.

“What a good girl you’ve become.  Maybe a little bit of punishment is all I need to control you,” my intruder told me.

“Who are you?” I asked him as my voice wobbled and I trembled.

“Now, now, you know that I can’t tell you that,” he crooned. 

I looked up at him.  The holes in his mask allowed him to see out, but the coloured glasses he wore prevented me from seeing in.  “You do not look at me without my permission,” he said as his free arm shot out and punched me in the stomach.  “You do not talk to me without my permission,” he snarled as his foot came up and kicked my knees out.  “You do not move without my permission,” he whispered in my ear.

My body tensed up, awaiting the pain from the blow that I knew would come.  Instead of hitting me though, he ran his hand over my back, massaging my tense muscles.  I tried to keep my body from relaxing, but his hands were just too wonderful.  I moaned deep in my throat as he pressed this magic spot on my lower back, and my back bowed.

“Remember this lesson,” he warned me before I felt the barrel of his gun crack down on the side of my head. 

I slumped forwards as blood slid down my temple and into my hair. I felt it trickle slowly down my cheek as I lost consciousness. 

Death if you’re listening please let me go.  It’s not my time yet.  I’m not ready to die. 

                                                                       * * *