Meet Bessie

"This here is Bessie, finest road-pavin' machine ever built. I'm hereby sentencing you to community service. You're gonna fix the road under my supervision." Doc explains. I am standing against the wall staring at the giant machine in shock. So, I have to pull that!? "What? This place is crazy!" Mater walks up to me and whispers, "I know this might be a bad time right now, but you owe me $32,000 in legal fees." My eyes widened in surprise.

"What?" I whispered back to him.

Doc stared at me and moved his way, "We're gonna hitch you up to Bessie, and you're gonna pull her nice." He gestures to the machine. "You gotta be kidding me!" I growled. The wrappings tightened as the sun's heat beat down on me. I'm not going to last unless I had the wraps off and only wore my jacket.

"You start there where the road begins," Doc points to the ground, "you finish there where the road ends." He pointed out the 'End work zone' signs down the road, next to the Radiator Springs sign. "Holy Shoot!" Mater shouted as he looked down the road.

I made my way next to Mater to see the damage, "Whoa, whoa, whoa! How long is this gonna take?!" I gasped. Doc's eyebrow went up, and his arms crossed, "Hmm, well, fella does it right, should take him five days." Doc stated.

"Five days? But I should be in California schmoozing Dinoco right now!" I suddenly felt dizzy from the heat. "Then, if I were you, I'd quit yappin' and start workin'!" Doc barked. Mater grabbed my arm and dragged me to the car that Doc had brought over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

No POV:

"Hook him up, Mater," Doc orders.

As Lightning/Ruby sat in the car, Mater started the engine and grabbed the keys for his cuffed wrists, "Okay-dokey," And unlocked the cuffs. Then, he backed away from the vehicle, and Lightning quickly grabbed the wheel.

Hitting the gas, he sped down the road, "FREEDOM!" He yelled. Lightning laughed as he drove down the road with the window down as the wind hit him. Mater stood there as Lightning disappeared down the road in shock, "Maybe I should've hooked his car up to Bessie... and then... then take the cuffs off." Mater turns to Doc with a flushed face. Doc stares at Mater, "Get your truck." He replied.

"Whoo-hoo! Goodbye Radiator Springs, and goodbye Bessie!" Lightning/Ruby cheered. "California, here I come! Yeah! Oh, feel that wind, yes!" She giggled in her normal voice.

SPUTTERING!

Ruby glanced at her gas tank to see it empty. EMPTY!? "No. No, no, no. Outta gas? How can I be outta gas?!" The car stops next to a sign, 'Radiator Springs: 10 miles.'

"Ha, ha, ha!"

Ruby turns her head to see the Sheriff and Sally stand against the sign, laughing. "Boy, we ain't as dumb as you think we are." The Sheriff chuckles. Ruby felt her face heat up. Then, clearing her throat, Ruby jumped out of her vehicle, "But how did, how did... you...?" Her disguised voice stuttered.

Sally twirled her keys in her hand, "We siphoned your gas while you were passed out," She flashed her keys in the sun, catching Ruby in the eyes, "Ka-chow." She smirked. "Ow, ow, ow, ow." Ruby squinted, shielding her face. The Sheriff laughed again as Mater pulled up with his tow truck. Ruby pouted as Mater took her car away.

The Sheriff opens his car and waves Ruby over. Having no choice, Ruby stomped over and slid into the back seat. "You thought that Doc would let you use your car to fix the road?" The Sheriff glanced over his shoulder to see the 'boy' glaring out the window as he moved to the front of the car.

Ruby refused to answer as the Sheriff drove back to the town. Doc was waiting by Bessie once the Sheriff pulled up with Ruby in the back. "You're going to pull her without your car, hot rod." Doc hands Ruby the rope to pull the machine, "Get started." Doc walked away to his clinic as Ruby stood there glaring after him.