Let's Race

Lightning's POV:

I gritted my teeth together as the van disappeared. Then, turning around, I watch Sally sigh and face the residents, "Okay, don't worry. They know where we are now. They'll tell friends. You'll see." Sally assured. The townsfolk sighed and went back on their ways.

I sighed and grabbed the rope, "We'll be back for our Hank Williams marathon..."

"That's good." Sally whispered.

"After a Piston Cup update."

I lifted my head to hear Kori's voice on the radio, "Still no sign of Lightning McQueen. Chick arrived in California and today became the first racer to spend time on the track."

My eyes widened as I heard Chick's voice come through the radio, "It's nice to get out here before the other competitors. You know, get a head start. It gives me an edge."

My throat tightened as I pictured Chick Hicks standing next to the Dinoco team laughing and Chick turning his head towards me, "Hey McQueen! Eat your heart out."

I gasped and quickly shook my head at the image. Mater walked up to me as I dropped the rope, "Mater, let me get this straight," I sucked up a deep breath, "I can go when this road is done. That was the deal, right?" I waited for him to answer. "That's what they done did said." He replied.

I grabbed the rope and stared at the road before me, "Okay. Outta my way. I have a road to finish." I wrapped the rope around my waist and wrists and began pulling out of willpower and adrenaline. I grunted as I pulled the machine. Mater stood there, his mouth open in shock.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Doc POV:

"He's done!" Mater bursts into the clinic where I stood behind my work desk, "Done?" I faced Mater, surprised.

"Mhm."

"It's only been an hour." I turn my head to the clock above my head. "The kid must have a lot of energy to use."  I thought to myself. I watch Mater run out of the clinic in excitement. Setting my notes down on the table, I stepped outside to see how the road turned out. I stopped once I saw the damage. Then, growling, I quickly made my way to the kid. The road was a mess! It was bumpy, and concrete spattered the pavement everywhere.

"It's awful!" I hear Sally gasp.

"It matches the rest of the town." I hear the kid answer. I clenched my fists together and made my way behind the machine. "Who do you think you are!?" Sally asks angrily. 

"Look, Doc said when I finish, I could go! That was the deal!"

I moved around the machine and crossed my arms, "The deal was that you fix the road!" The kid jumped in surprise, "Not make it worse. Now scrape it off! Start over again." I barked. The kid tsked, "Look, grandpa," I glared at the kid, "I'm not a bulldozer; I'm a racer!" He answered smugly. I frowned at him and slowly smiled as an idea formed, "Oh-ho-ho-ho! Is that so? Then why don't we have a little race? You and me?" I grinned.

"What?" Sally asked.

Lightning laughed, "You and me?! Is that a joke?" He dropped the rope and crossed his arms.

"If you win, you go, and I fix the road," I watched the kid smile, but I continued, "But if I win, you do the road my way." He put his hand under his chin in thought.

"Doc, what are you doin'?" The Sheriff whispered.

"I don't mean to be rude here, but your car probably goes zero to sixty, in like, what? Three-point-five years?" He chuckled.

The townsfolk watched the both of us, confused about what I was doing. I narrowed my eyes, but the smile never left, "Then I reckon you ain't got nothin' to worry about." The kid returned the smile and stepped closer to me, "You know what, old-timer? That sounds like a great idea. Let's race!"

I turned to the Sheriff and Mater, "Get his car."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Gentlemen, this will be a one-lap race. You will go to Willy's Butte, go around Willy's Butte and come back. There will be no bumpin', no cheatin', no spittin', no bitin', no road rage, no maimin', no oil slickin', no pushin', no shovin', no backstabbin', no road-hoggin', and no lollygaggin'." The Sheriff had his arms behind him as he paced back and forth in front of us.

I faced to my left to see Lightning grip his wheel tightly. I studied his car as we waited for Luigi to start.

Lightning's car may be fast, but his wheels will be the problem.

"Speed. I am Speed. Look like a Cadillac, sting like a beamer." Lightning whispered. I rolled my eyes at him and faced the track.

Luigi walked up between the two cars and smiled, "One for the money, two for the show!"

Our cars revved as he held up the flag, "And Go!"

I watched the kid bolt down the dirt track as I sat there in my car, chucking softly.

In shock, Luigi walked up to the window, "Doc, the flag means go. See the flag? Here we go. Go."

"Uh, Doc? What are you doin' man?" Ramone asked.

"Oh, dear. It looks like I'm off to a poor start. Well better late than never," I turned to see Mater next to his truck. Then, getting out, I walked over to him, "Come on Mater. Might need your help. You got your tow cable?"

"Uh, yeah I always got my tow cable why?"

"Oh, just in case." We hopped into his truck and made our way to where Lightning made a turn, sliding into the ditch.

"Ow!" Lightning screamed. Mater and I jumped out of the truck to see the kid's car stuck in the cactus. Some of the cacti went through the window and were on the boy's arm.

"Hey! Was that looking like a Cadillac? Or stinging like a beamer?" I called out.

Mater began to laugh.

"I'm confused! You drive like you fix roads! Lousy!" I faced Mater and handed him his tow cable, "Have fun fishing Mater." I turned away from the crash and made my way back to the town.

"It seemed as if he knew you were gonna crash!" I hear Mater shout to the kid.

I began to chuckle as I walked away, "That's right. I knew he was goin' to crash. He didn't have the right type of wheels."