Chapter i: Good luck, Luck Lewis

New Bark Town, Spring of 2021.

The very last thing Frankie Lewis told his son before peculiarly disappearing for reasons his mother will never tell was something that now hung from the boy's wall in the form of a poster of a particularly smiley Sunflora in a grassy field in fro...

The very last thing Frankie Lewis told his son before peculiarly disappearing for reasons his mother will never tell was something that now hung from the boy's wall in the form of a poster of a particularly smiley Sunflora in a grassy field in front of a bright blue sky: carpe diem.
Carpe diem, and it resonated inside his mind every time he thought about his dad, which was probably his intent. A last attempt at parenthood knowing he wasn't going to be around for much longer, and after he was gone, he made sure the young Luck Lewis had something positive to hold on to (and give his poor mother a little peace of mind, watching his boy smile at her, mouthing Latin with missing milk teeth). And carpe diem thought Luck Lewis as he tied his shoes, his hands shaking slightly, in the Saturday morning he had circled on his calendar so many times with thick red marker, which had finally arrived.
He stared at the mirror, fixing his long blond hair slicked back and smiling at his reflection; Pokémon trainers nowadays had to be a bit older to embark on the so-desired Pokémon journey. Times were changing, and it wasn't the safest thing to have an eleven year old wandering around with a health hazard of a creature inside a Pokéball. But it wasn't something he was worried about: pimples or no pimples on his face, puberty or no puberty making his voice sound like an injured Spearow trapped in a pipe, he was about to leave the neat and become a trainer, just like his mother and father had done before him, and it made his insides churn and gurgle.
"Come on, Luck", he murmured, slapping himself softly, "you've got this, man, carpe diem... oh, man, did I forget to shave?".

"Luck!", his mother called from downstairs, "breakfast is ready, come on down!".

"I'm coming!".

"You don't want to keep Professor Elm waiting!".

Luck fixed a couple strands of hair under his cap as he slid downstairs, hiding his hands inside his light denim jacket and leaning against the wall, "morning, Dandelion". Dandelion, his mother's old Venusaur, laid on the living room's carpet and snored, contempt. The arrival of spring had made the flower on his back bloom like the ruby rose bushes from his mother's beloved garden, and it opened like a parasol of magenta, filling the house with a sweet, honey-like scent and scattering itchy yellow powder everywhere. They had since taken out everything but the love seat and the TV — because it was mounted on the wall — from the living room to make space for the teal behemoth; his mother couldn't quite bring herself to explain to him that he wasn't the backpack-sized, bug-eyed Bulbasaur from so many years ago, and a habit of walking outside his Pokéball beside her had now landed them with what was possibly the largest houseplant ever. "I made Lum berry pancakes", his mother smiled, turning around a slab of golden batter on a sizzling frying pan, a delightful sound he could barely hear over Dandelion's snoring. "Lum berry pancakes?", Luck laughed, "where did those come from?".

"Oh, I'm just trying our some new recipes, to give you good luck, Luck!", she beamed, "I also added some Aguav berries to it, and a little bit of Wepear...".
Luck snorted as she placed his plate on the table: the array of green berries and leafy bits had been arranged to resemble the shape of a Chikorita. He looked up at her and she shrugged, "hey, choose whatever you want to choose, I'm not saying anything". She sipped from her cup of tea, swirling it around in thought, "... but, I mean, you can't deny how very powerful grass types are in battle...".