Chapter viii: Righteous Raikou

Violet City, spring of 2021

"... And then, once we were all back in the Pokémon Centre, Falkner came up to me and told me I was the bravest person he had ever met, can you believe that? Me! But it's true, and he thanked me for saving his and his Pokémon's lives by giving me this!", Luck opened up one of the sides of his denim jacket with his hand in the pocket, revealing a shiny, silver emblem pinned to the inside, "the Zephyr Badge! My very first Johto gym badge!", but his smile was perhaps even shinier than the piece of metal.

Luck's voice could be heard from almost everywhere in the Pokémon Centre, booming from the inside of a phone booth. He was enthusiastically talking to a flashing screen, and on it was the half-worried, half-amused face of his mother, who listened to the ins and outs of the events of the previous day with a cup of tea clenched between her hands.

"... That's... certainly a tale to remember, dear", she chuckled, unsure, looking at the plaster that rested on top of his round nose and the cuts and bruises on his hands, "I'm glad you're having fun and creating invaluable experiences, and I'm trying not to worry about you as much... but, well, do try to be more careful, you two, yes?", she smiled, tiredly, "for your mother".

"Yes, ma", Luck lied, "this was a one-time thing, I swear I won't be riding any more Onix anytime son... or, er, any other equally dangerous Pokémon, that is. Right, Seven? We won't, I promise". Seven nodded, perched on his head and showing his right hand up to his trainer's mother in signal of his word: no more riding dangerous Pokémon, no ma'am!

"Also, can you mail me another cap? I kind of destroyed mine".

"Come on, kid", Maple approached him, having returned the keys to their quarters at the Centre's front desk and paid for what they had in the cafeteria (sure, it was Luck's money, but the kid had just upped and left to make a call, leaving her his entire wallet as if it didn't hold a big chunk of his parents' life savings), "the sooner we get moving, the better. That way we can hopefully reach Goldenrod City by...".

"Ah, hi there!".

She froze, realising she had interrupted Luck's call, and the person on the screen she guessed could only be his mother (well, it wasn't that risky of a guess, really, as she would recognise that loud, big blond hair anywhere).