Chapter iv: Houndour packs a bite!

Route 30, spring of 2021

We come back to young Pokémon trainer Luck Lewis as he's prancing away from the quiet Cherrygrove City after a busy morning and action-packed noon, muscles still sore from cleaning up mounts of passed-out Weedles, but spirits up high and smile wid...

We come back to young Pokémon trainer Luck Lewis as he's prancing away from the quiet Cherrygrove City after a busy morning and action-packed noon, muscles still sore from cleaning up mounts of passed-out Weedles, but spirits up high and smile wide, ready to embrace the journey to come. Stepping out into Route 30 was considerably easier than stepping into Route 29 back in New Bark Town, and he had a feeling it was only bound to get easier. Seven was strapped to his hat once more, only this time it was on backwards, so his tummy had a more comfortable surface to lay on, which caused him to occasionally dose off and pull it, dishevelling his hair as he got comfortable again, his arms hanging on his forehead. Luck was scanning his PokéNav, analysing the map upgrade he had received from the tour guide and planning inside his head with a focused frown. "... So, after Route 30 and 31, which are... right this way, we should be in Violet City", he spoke out loud to the half-asleep Cyndaquil, "if we pick up the pace... I think we might be able to reach it before the sun gets down, what do you think, buddy?". Seven whimpered, barely audible, "... yeah, I think it's reasonable too". He took in a deep breath, smiling and fixing his backpack on his back, skipping with excitement, "so, Violet City... the gym leader there is Falkner, who uses flying types. Getting a type advantage is going to be pretty hard, I mean, what are flying types even weak against, anyways? Rock and Electric and... Ice? I don't think I've even seen an Ice-type Pokémon in my life! On the bright side, we won't be at a huge type disadvantage either, because you're a Fire-type! I've heard Kanto's first gym after Pallet Town is Rock-type, heh, that would've been rough, but Flying-type? We can manage that... I think... I hope. We're very strong after that training, aren't we, Seven? We can take a gym challenge no problem, smoke some trainers, get all those badges, yeah, I believe in us! ... Seven, are you asleep?".

Route 30 was a long and steep way towards Violet City, and, with the added weight of the sleeping Cyndaquil and his jam-packed backpack, Luck's legs were starting to get tired. He looked back, unable to see Cherrygrove City between tree tops and hills , "whew, we've been walking for a while now, haven't we?", he sighed, pulling out a flask of water from his backpack and giving it a swig, "I wonder if we're even close now... to be completely honest, I haven't gotten the hang of this map just yet, and it doesn't help that the sun makes it hard for me to focus on my PokéNav's screen... I wish there was, like, a subway station, or something. I know Goldenrod City has some, but they should connect them to the rest of the region, would make Pokémon Trainers' lives so much easier! Well, until we get a Pokémon who can learn fly, of course, then we'll never have to walk like this again... "we", I'm doing all the walking here, you've just been asleep the whole time!...". Luck's train of thought got interrupted as he felt himself bumping into someone, "oh, excuse me", he muttered, taking a step back, nearly dropping Seven, "didn't see you there, I was looking down".