Chapter vi: Old friends, new friends

Violet City, spring of 2021

"Good afternoon! Miss Lewis, is that correct? This is Martina Maple, I am a Pokémon Researcher from Ecruteak City

"Good afternoon! Miss Lewis, is that correct? This is Martina Maple, I am a Pokémon Researcher from Ecruteak City. I met your son, Luck, in Route 30, shortly as he found himself barely escaping a wild Pokémon attack... yes, it was quite frightening, but, fear not, he actually went back and caught the thing, so, it couldn't have been that bad... at least he's not traumatised... yes, I told him the same exact thing, but, you know, kids and Pokémon ... anyways, through a series of unfor... well, through a series of events, I found myself helping your son with his Pokémon training. As a former trainer myself, and have some expertise to share, and we took the liberty to decide that...".

"Hey, Seven! Did you take my PokéGear and hide it again? You little shit, I can't find it anywhere, I've been looking for...".

"Luck!".

Luck jumped, startled, as he heard his mom's voice coming from, seemingly, thin air, making him stumble backwards in confusion, clutching the jacket he had been searching the pockets of.

"What did I tell you about cussing?".

"... Mom?", he turned around in circles until he noticed that Maple, who was leaning against a wall of their Pokémon Centre lodging quarters, holding his PokéGear in her hand, was on a call with his mother, one of her arms holding the device to her ear and the other wrapped around her chest. Even in nightwear she looked soberly formal. Amused, she held the PokéGear away and closer to Luck for him to hear.

"That's not the language of the respectable young man I raised!".

"I... uh... sorry, ma", he chuckled awkwardly, sending a deadly stare towards Maple, who rolled her eyes, asking her through silent, exaggeratedly mouthed words  what on Earth was she doing. She ignored him, returning the device to her head, "... well, as I was saying...".

Luck complained in grumbles, snatching his PokéGear away as Maple ended the call, receiving a frown from her, "where did you get my PokéGear from... and, most importantly, why were you talking with my mom?", he stared at it, flicking through the different screens: the contact list, the radio gadget, the Johto map and the texting application, as if Maple had somehow corrupted it in the minutes she had it in her possessions, "how did you even get this thing unlocked?".