Epilogue

"Daddy!" said Rini, bursting through the door of their new home. Watanuki and Doumeki built their own home away from the Fortune Telling Shop. They both had agreed they needed a fresh start. Too many painful memories were there. Watanuki still went there to work but didn't sleep there anymore. 

Doumeki swept her up in his big arms. She giggled. "It's Valentine's Day! I made this for you." She went in her bear backpack and carefully took out a folded construction paper heart. It read "I LOVE YOU DADDY X DADDY LOVE RINI."

He kissed her forehead. 

"Am I going to grandma's tonight so you can be alone?" Their daughter was very frank and was never embarrassed. 

Doumeki blushed. "Yes, honey."

"Can I play with Maru and Moru soon?"

"Of course," said Watanuki, coming out of the kitchen with a small plate with an after-school snack and a cup of milk. "I'm making chocolates. You can take some to them after they cool, alright?"

She didn't seem to hear him. She picked up the snack. "Say ah, Daddy." Doumeki opened his mouth. 

"Hey! That wasn't for you!" 

Rini popped in in his mouth. He swallowed and grinned. 

"Grrrrrr, you two will drive me crazy, I swear!"

Doumeki kissed Rini on her forehead. "Let's go help Daddy make the candy."

"Yay!"

"NO!"

////

That night after they had made love three times - one time initiated by Watanuki and he even surprised himself - Watanuki lay in bed looking out the window. The moon was full like that first night so many months ago. He was about to go to bed when he squinted. Something was moving across the white moon. It looked very much like a butterfly - a purple one leaving a trail of sparkles. He couldn't be sure but he believed.

THE END