Chapter 1

Uzui Tsukiko P.O.V.

I look up at the sky, as the warm wind blows through my hair. Makio, Suma and Hinatsuru are training as Tengen walks up to me. "There's probably a demon, maybe more in the entertainment district" he says. I look up to him. "But I can't investigate properly" he adds. "That's fine, I'll go" I say. "I'm sending Makio, Suma and Hinatsuru in" Tengen says. "Excuse me?" I ask offended. "This isn't something you can do by yourself. Besides the people know you over there. You can't infiltrate well" he says. "I know people Tengen-kun" I say, irritated. "You're not welcome there" Tengen says. "Again, I know people! I've been a courtesan. I know what to do" I say. "I've made up my mind" Tengen says sharply as he looks at me. "Right, because whatever you want is the law right?" I ask, angrily. "That's not true" he says. "If it isn't, then why did you marry those three idiots after I explicitly told you that I didn't agree with it?!" I shout. I can feel the stares of Makio, Suma and Hinatsuru but ignore it. "Watch yourself" Tengen growls softly and I can see in his eyes that he is getting angry as well. "Of course. I have to be the one to watch myself" I scoff.  "I honestly don't know why you keep me around" I say as I walk away from him, from them and through the gates of our mansion. I soon find myself sitting near my favorite pond, watching the fish, the insects and the birds. "Tsukiko-sama" I hear Hinatsuru's voice behind me. I close my eyes for a second. I resent all three of them. At least she's a bit likable. "That seemed pretty intense.." she says as she sits down next to me. "What do you want from me?" I ask. "I wanted to know if you're okay." Hinatsuru says. "I'm fine. It's not my first fight with Tengen-kun" I say shrugging. "I do hear you argue a lot lately" she says. I don't respond. "Of course I don't know what you are arguing about, but I do know that Tengen-sama loves you very much" Hinatsuru says. "I don't need your reassurances Hinatsuru" I say. "I know you don't" she says. "I'm just here to let you know that we are not the enemy. And we care about you too" Hinatsuru says.

I slowly blow the smoke I just inhaled from the kiseru outside. "Tsukiko-sama." I turn my head to see Makio, Suma and Hinatsuru kneeled at the door. "We're about to leave" Hinatsuru says. "Do as you wish" I say, turning back to the window and leaning my chin on my hand. "Any advise you can give us?" Suma asks. "You girls are foolish enough to go, no advise from me is going to help you now" I say, without looking at them. "Let's just go.." Makio says softly to the other two. "We'll be back. Please take care until then" Hinatsuru says. I don't respond and listen to them leave. I scoff softly. "Fools" I say, putting the kiseru between my teeth. From the window I watch the girls and Tengen say their goodbyes and watch them leave. "You didn't have to be so harsh to them" I hear Tengen says behind me. "You're a fool for letting them go" I say. "We both know I couldn't send you in with the parting gift they gave you" Tengen says. I close my eyes for a second. "Besides I'd rather not send you back there. It took me long enough to get you out" he says, and he sounds closer this time. "Afraid I won't come back?" I ask. "Should I be?" Tengen asks, as he crouches down besides me and strokes my hair behind my ear. "Maybe" I say softly. "Am I that bad for you?" He asks softly. "You married three other women, you tell me.." I say dryly. "You know I love you very much, you're the only one I consult with about every decision I make. That I want you to be the one to carry my children" Tengen says. "Great, you found another reason to keep me inside besides my ugliness and my weakness" I scoff. Tengen grabs my chin painfully tight as he turns my face toward him. "You're not ugly and you're not weak. You're the strongest in this house besides me. Why do you think Makio, Suma and Hinatsuru look up to you this much?" He asks. "Because I was here first?" I mumble. "Because you are stunning, and strong" he says. I don't respond, but look into his fuchsia eyes as he looks into my purple ones. "Was that all you needed from me, Tengen-kun?" I ask. Tengen sighs and let's go of me. "Yes"

After a long warm bath, and after I applied scented body cream on my body to moisturize, I was put on a clean yukata and walk over to my room. Tengen is already there with his hair down and wearing his yukata as well. He's at his most handsome like this. It always melts my heart. "No mission for you tonight?" I ask as I close the door behind me. "Not tonight" he says as he puts two cups and a bottle of sake in front of him. "Why do you doubt me?" Tengen asks as he pours us both some sake while I walk over and sit down with him. "It's hard not to" I answer. "Why?" Tengen asks as he hands me a cup. "Because you make me feel like I'm not enough" I answer. This seems to surprise Tengen. "I'm sorry to hear that" he mumbles. I don't respond and take a sip of my sake. Tengen sighs deeply and then pulls me closer. "I never meant to make you feel that way" he says, pressing his lips against my temple. "What did you think would happen? You knew I didn't agree" I say. "Not this" Tengen says. He turns my face toward him and presses his lips softly against mine. "Trust me, like you trusted me back then" he whispers. "You're always on my mind" Tengen adds whispering. He places his hand on my cheek, and when his thumb strokes the scar running down my cheek, I close my eyes and turn my face into his hand so he can't do it anymore. "Stop hiding your beautiful face" Tengen whispers, turning my face toward him again. "I'm not as beautiful as them" I whisper. Tengen's face softens. "You are my love" he says. "It saddens me that you think of yourself like that" Tengen adds. "I know I used to be so confident, arrogant even...maybe" I sigh. "You should be, still. I saw you training the other day, if you keep it up you could become a hashira." Tengen says. "Would you want me to?" I ask surprised. Tengen smiles. "Maybe. I wouldn't mind if it's your ambition" he says. "I don't know.." I say shrugging. Tengen pours us both another cup of sake. "Well why don't you take your time to think on it. And for now let's enjoy spending time with each other" he says, handing me mine.