Chapter 8

Uzui Tsukiko P.O.V.

Shinobu turns toward me. "Hmm?" She asks. "Was it not planned?" Shinobu asks. I look up. "I guess it kind of was" I mumble. "But?" She asks. I sigh. "There's no but." I say, and stand up. "Thank you though, Shinobu" I say. "I know, you knew Tsukiko" Shinobu says, as I slide open the door. "Which means that he probably does too" she adds. I look at Shinobu sadly. "I know" I say, then leave. I can't keep a secret from Tengen. I never could've. He hears everything. I leave the mansion and as walk the path toward the gate, Tanjiro walks the corner. "Tsukiko-San, good morning!" He says. I turn to him. "Tanjiro-kun. How are you?" I ask with a smile. "I'm doing much better. Soon I'll be able to go on missions again I think" he says. "That's good. Is your sister doing well?" I ask. "Yes, thank you for asking. And I'm forever grateful for your help with her." Tanjiro says and bows. "Don't be. Please raise your head." I say. "I did what I felt was right" I say. As Tanjiro smiles at me, something warm is in my stomach. It almost feels like hope. "I have to go. But be safe Tanjiro-kun and I hope to see you again" I say. Tanjiro bows. "You too" he says. I bow my head to him and then leave. It doesn't take me long to get home, but longer than usual. Hinatsuru, Suma and Makio are tending to the garden as Tengen is on the engawa having tea. "Okaerinasai." Tengen says and I nod slightly. "Are you going to join me?" He asks. I hesitate, because I actually want to go straight to my room. Instead I sit down next to him, with the tray with tea in between us. There's enough cups for all of us, so I do pour us all. "Why don't you take a break. It's looking well" Tengen says. I bring my cup toward my lips, but somehow it makes me nauseous so I immediately put it down again. "Did everything go well at the butterfly mansion?" Hinatsuru asks. I hesitate again. "Yeah" I say. "Butterfly mansion? Are you not feeling well?" Makio asks. "Something like that" I answer. "Sick?! Is it not bad is it?!" Suma shouts. "Don't be dramatic" Makio snaps at her. "I'm fine" I say. I'm not sure if I'm saying it to reassure them, or myself.

"You'll catch a cold if you sleep here" I open my eyes. Apparently I fell asleep leaning against the window frame. When I look outside it's already dark. I groan softly as I stretch my back as I stretch my arms above my head. "Hmm I guess I nodded off" I say, rubbing my neck. "You've been tired lately huh?" Tengen asks as he walks over and closes the window. "I guess" I say. "You missed dinner" Tengen says as he puts a tray on the low table. "I'm not really hungry" I say. "I figured. But here's some light broth." Tengen says. "Eat something" he says as he sits down as well. "You're really going to make me, aren't you?" I sigh. Tengen smiles. "I have to" he says. Tengen softly scratches his ear. I know he's silently trying to say; 'I heard'. I take the bowl and bring it to my lips to take a small sip. "Have you told them?" I ask. "Not yet" Tengen says. I don't respond as I slowly drink the broth. "Don't you tell them everything?" I ask as I put the empty bowl back on the tray. "I want you to tell me first" Tengen says amused. "Why would I tell you anything, that you already know?" I ask. Tengen leans his elbow on the table and his chin on his hand. He smirks. "Because I want you to say it" he says. "I don't want to.." I say. Tengen sits up straight again as he chuckles. "You don't have to" he says. "But at some point you do" he says. I don't respond. "You seem a bit pale, my love" Tengen says. "I don't feel so good" I say. "Let's get you to bed huh?" He asks. Tengen stands up and offers me his hand. I take it and allow him to pull me up. "Careful now" he says as I walk a bit wobbly. He places his hand on my waist, as we walk. "Everything alright?" I hear Hinatsuru's voice. "Everything is fine. We probably do need a bucket in her room though" Tengen says as I speed to my room, and lay down on my futon. "You okay?" Tengen asks softly as he strokes my hair. "I'm pregnant. I get dizzy sometimes" I say. When I open an eye to look at him and see him beaming with happiness.

I open my eyes, and the room is empty. I had expected Tengen here, but he isn't. I close my eyes and concentrate on my breathing. "...With child" I hear him say. "Oh that is fantastic news, Tengen-sama. Congratulations!" I hear Hinatsuru. "It really is. Thank you. She's going to need..." I open my eyes to shut them out again. Well he didn't waste a second to tell her. I sigh and sit up. She's his go-to anyway, so what did I expect? I still feel disappointed and annoyed. I get out of bed, open the windows and hang my futon and blankets to air. I sigh deeply. "Well little one" I say softly. "Let's see what today is going to bring" I say, and leave my room. I'm surprised to find Tengen at the tatami mat room, instead of the kitchen. "You're up early" he says as he opens the sliding doors to the engawa let the morning air in. "I just woke up." I shrug. "I already opened the windows and put my futon and blankets to air" I say. Tengen frowns as he sits down at the table. "You should refrain from heavy lifting. Hinatsuru was going to do that later on" he says. "My futon isn't heavy" I say, sitting down as well. "Ohayo Tsukiko-sama" Hinatsuru says as she walks in carrying a tray of tea. "The weather is nice.. do you want to have breakfast here or at the dinner room?" She asks. "The dinner room is fine. The view is fine from there. I'll open the windows there in a bit" Tengen says. "I'll have Makio do it as she sets the table, don't worry" Hinatsuru says. She then turns to me. "Tsukiko-sama. I'm overjoyed with the wonderful news!" She says, smiling happily. "Please let me know if you need anything!" She says. I blush a bit embarrassed. "Thank you" I mumble. Still smiling happily, Hinatsuru leaves the room. "See, I told you" Tengen says amused. "Told me what?" I ask annoyed, even though I already know. "That they care about you. They're genuinely happy and excited that you're with child. That you're carrying my child." Tengen says. Everyone is. Except for me. I smile slightly, unsure of what to say. "Maybe it's time to take down those walls" Tengen says. "In the end it will be better for you as well as for our child" he says.