Chapter 10

Uzui Tsukiko P.O.V.

My stomach was already growing when Tengen received the request, to help train and prepare for the fight against the Kizuki and Kibutsuji Muzan. He jumped at the occasion, and I think he was just glad to feel useful again. By the time the first batch arrived, I could no longer hide my pregnancy. But as Tengen, I didn't want to feel useless as well, so I decided to help out. I sit down and Hinatsuru gives me a plate with mitarashi dango, something I've been craving a lot lately. "I know you want to help, but you should take it easy" she says. "This is me taking it easy" I say, taking a bite of my dango. "You've been going at this pace for the past weeks. Please, sit and rest." Makio says. "We've all been going at this pace for the past weeks." I protest. "We're not all with child, Tsukiko-sama" Hinatsuru says, calmly as ever. I sigh deeply. But before I can protest, I hear Kamado Tanjiro greeting Tengen, and Tengen greeting him happily. I smile slightly. So you came. Makio and Suma place a tub of cooked rice in front of me. "Make the onigiri's. You can do that while staying seated" Makio says. Not long after, the trainees start pouring in, exhausted.  As soon as Tanjiro is walking up, he's greeted happily by Hinatsuru, Suma and Makio, who immediately greet him happily. I stand up, and before I can actually take a step, Tengen is beside me with a plate of Dango which he offers me. "Tsukiko-san!" He says, smiling brightly. "It's good to see you healthy, Tanjiro-kun" I say, smiling kindly at him. "I see you're with child, congratulations to both of you" Tanjiro says, and I can see he genuinely means it. "Thank you" I say, I smile, though sadly as I place my hand on my belly. Tanjiro seems to notice this. "She just wishes she could do more at this moment" Hinatsuru says as she sees he's about to ask. "You're feeding us, you're doing plenty! You should take care of yourself now, for your baby" Tanjiro says. "Thank you" Makio says, looking at me meaningfully. "Well, eat up. You're going to need your energy" I say, with a smile. "Thank you very much, I will" Tanjiro says, as he bows and joins the other. "Now you're hearing it from somebody else..." Tengen says.

I feel a hand on my shoulder and Tengen appears beside me. "They're fed, they're bathing in turns and getting ready for bed. You've done your job, so now it's time for you to go inside" he says softly. "Yeah, I'll just help out with the dishes.." I say. "It's nearly finished." Tengen says. "I can't let them do it all by themselves" I say. "You can, and you will" Tengen says, though he says it amused, I can also hear that he's serious. I sigh deeply, looking at the trainees that walk past us. "I'm glad  our property is big enough for them to have a safe space to sleep" I say. "Hmm yes" Tengen says. "Go inside, the bath is ready for you and I'll join you in a bit, okay?" Tengen asks. I nod and head inside. I was myself and my hair before getting into our bath. I open the window, and I hear the trainees softly talking. Right before the training, Oyakata-sama has provided some Kakushi who built a temporary bath for the trainees right outside ours, as well as a barrack building for them to sleep in. They'll also come and clean it up when the training period is over. I sit down in the warm water. "-amazing, especially the pregnant one..she seems real tough." I hear one say. "She's a demon slayer herself you know" Tanjiro says. "She is?" Another asks. "Yes! I've seen her fight. She's real strong" Tanjiro says. I smile. You're too kind. I close the window again. Just as I sit down, Tengen walks into the bathroom. "Do you want me to wash your back?" I ask. "No need, enjoy the bath" Tengen says. I watch as he washes himself and smile when he joins me in the bath. I close my eyes and lean my head against his shoulder when he's next to me. "Are you still saying that you're not tired?" Tengen asks amused. "I never said I wasn't" I answer, without opening my eyes. "I understand why you want to help, god knows I wish I could join everyone" Tengen says. "But I also know that the little one keeps you up at night. You need to take it easy. No one will blame you if you'll sit a little more often, or take a nap during the day" Tengen says. "You also help by taking care of yourself" he adds.

I groan softly as I get out of bed, though it's the middle of the night. It's what I do often because Tengen doesn't sleep next to me anymore, anyway. The baby kicks me awake, and I can't get back to sleep easily. I go downstairs, make myself a cup of tea and walk outside on the engawa, when I see Tanjiro in the yard. I put on my outside slippers and walk up to him. "Shouldn't you be sleeping?" I ask. "Oh, Tsukiko-san. Yes, I should. I will soon" he says. "You're training your body hard, you need your sleep to recover" I say. "I'm sorry to meddle. You're like a little brother, at least that's what you bring out in me. I naturally want to take care of you. That's not easy to bring out in me" I say. Tanjiro smiles. "I don't mind. I'm grateful" he says. "Shouldn't you be sleeping as well?" He asks. "I should, but this little one thinks that my organs are temari to play with" I say, placing my hand on my stomach with a smile. Tanjiro frowns. "What's wrong?" I ask. "You smile, but you smell sad" he says. "You can smell emotions?" I ask amused. "Well yeah, if they're really strong" Tanjiro answers. "Ah, so you know about Shinobu's anger as well?" I ask. "Yes" he answers. I take a sip of my tea and don't respond for a bit. "I am sad, I guess. It's hard to have to share my husband. To wake up, and realize he's not next to me, most of the days." I say. "But it's just the way life is, you know" I add. "But it's nothing you have to worry about. Go ahead to bed now, you need to rest" I say, patting his head. Tanjiro smiles, though sadly. "Oyasumi" he says. "Sleep well" I say softly as I watch him walk away. Tanjiro isn't gone long when I hear Tengen's footsteps. "Out here again huh?" He asks. "Hmm" I answer, drinking the last sip of my tea. "You should be sleeping.." Tengen says softly. "Tell that to your kid" I say. Tengen places his hand on my stomach. "You should let your Okaasan sleep kiddo" he says. The baby immediately starts kicking against his hand. Tengen immediately starts to chuckle. "Oohoo? Strong one aren't we? Of course you are. You're like your Otosama" Tengen says. "Don't encourage him" I say dryly.