Surprises

Patrick

I packed up my laptop and ordered Rowan food and beverage of her choice. I brought it to the table, placed it in front of her, and sat down.

"You didn't have to buy me anything," Rowan said.

"My parents taught me chivalry, especially my dad. He said you should treat a girl as important as your mother."

"You must have a close relationship with your parents."

"It helps when you share the same disability as your dad."

"Wait. Is your dad deaf?"

"Yeah. He has been deaf since birth and had surgery but remained deaf. Our hearing aids are specially designed to make out what people are saying. I spent years in speech therapy to learn how to speak."

"So, did I. My dad made sure I had classes."

"What about your mom?"

"My mom is a religious fanatic and expected God to heal us."

"Your mom knows it doesn't work that way, right?"

"Unfortunately, but you can't reason with her."

"My cousin Oliver is a minister. I'm sure he would set her straight."

Rowan chuckled as I smiled. "I like you. You're so different than what I thought."

"How so?"

"Well, you didn't speak much to people at school, and you dated that troll."

"Most people at school were assholes with my deafness. And that troll used me to get even with Romeo."

"Yeah, I heard."

I glanced at Rowan.

"People enjoy gossip and rumors without getting facts. I prefer facts over gossip." Rowan's lips curled into a smile.

I couldn't help but smile.

"So, what does Patrick look for in a girl?" Rowan took a sip of her coffee.

"Someone who sees me for me."

Rowan smiled.

"Would it be too forward to ask you on a date?"

"Well, I don't have any pressing plans."

We smiled and talked. For once, things were falling in place, or so I thought.

********
Valentine

Rafe and I dragged Romeo from the bakery. When we reached a safe distance, I smacked the shit out of him.

"What the hell, Val?" Romeo asked me.

"You always start bullshit. Then it blows up in your face."

"Do you know how dangerous online meetings are with people?"

"It's not any more dangerous than plastering your life online. Who gives a shit about what you had for dinner?" Rafe asked.

"I don't plaster my dinner online. I don't even have a social media account," Romeo said.

Rafe rubbed his temples. "You're an idiot. I was providing an example."

"I don't trust social media. Too many people post personal shit. Who wants that hassle?" Romeo asked us.

"Pat doesn't use social media. He met Rowan in a chat room for deaf people," I said.

Romeo and Rafe looked at me. "What?"