33: Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow

Raven walked into her bedroom dripping sweat. She, of course, still looked stunning. She hovered herself over to her bathroom, completely unaware that Damian was lying on her bed, watching her.

    He listened to her land in her closet and hop into the shower. He knew it's probably too soon for him to join her, so he tucked his hands behind his head and relaxed into her soft comforter.

    Raven thankfully did not shower long. She returned from the bathroom, wearing clean pajama shorts and a tank top, violet hair still being dried with a small towel. When she finally looked up and saw him lying there her eyes lit up.

    "Damian," she sighed, dropping her towel and rushing her bed. Damian barely put up his hands in time to catch her as Raven practically threw herself at him. "Oh I'm so happy you're here." She snuggled into him and he laughed at her excitement.

    "Why wouldn't I be?" he asked. Raven pulled back to look at him.

    "Well we have been meeting at your place a lot lately. Plus, you usually give me a heads up or something. I don't know I'm just really happy to see you." She laid back into him again, pulling him as close as she could.

    "So, does that mean you missed me?" Damian whispered.

    "Oh stop it," Raven scolded. Damian rolled her beneath him.

    "No, tell me. Did you miss me?" Raven struggled against him, pressing her lips together in clear defiance. "We're you thinking about me today?" He lifted her arms above her head and held her wrists firm in one hand. The other grained her ribs, eliciting her beautiful laugh.

    "Nope. Not at all." Raven got out between strained laughter.

    "Not even during that shower of yours?" She looked mildly shocked and her cheeks turned a rather flattering shade of red. She struggled even harder for a moment before giving in completely. Damian paused his tickling as well. "Admit you missed me?"

    "You first." Damian took that to heart.

    "Okay," he leaned down, lightly kissing up her neck until he reached just below her ear. "I missed you, my sweet angel." Raven shivered beneath him and goosebumps broke out onto her skin.

    "Fine," she relented. "Maybe I missed you a little."

    "A little?" Damian asked, releasing Raven so that he could pull her back into his arms.

    "Maybe a lot." Damian squeezed her tightly against him, almost as though he was afraid she'd disappear. "Hey are you okay, baby?" Raven whispered. He was silent for much too long. Raven pulled her face back from him and made him look her in the eyes "What's wrong?"

    "I've gotta return to Nanda Parbat. Tonight."

    "For how long?" she finally asked.

    "A week. Two at most." Damian assured. Raven leaned back into Damian's embrace.

    "Do you realize its been weeks since we've spent more than a day apart?" Damian thought about it for a moment and realized that she was right. They didn't spend more than 12 hours apart. That tugging sensation, that weight that settled on their chests always pulled them back to each other.

"I'm sure it'll be alright. I'll call you before bed every night and be back before you even realize I was gone." Raven nodded solemnly. Damian pulled her back into his arms and did his best to memorize the feel of her.

Her gray skin, so supple soft, like silk beneath his fingers. Not a scar, not a blemish. Her waist, small and toned, widens into womanly hips. She's so lovely he can't quite believe she's real. And she's all his. Damian's grin is downright devious.

"You do know, I can feel you smiling." Damian laughs and traces calloused fingers down her spine.

     "I'm just happy." The honesty in his voice scared Damian a little. He's never cared for someone like this before. Loving his mother and his grandfather felt like a duty, like a payment for raising him. But this was purely selfish, and that's how Damian knows his feelings are true. He never feels as self-serving as he does while holding his sweet angel. His. "So, so happy."

     "Me too." Raven didn't have to reply, but she did. And it made Damian's heart soar. Leaving tonight was going to be the hardest thing he's ever had to do.