Chapter One: Three Days Left

Sunny's eyes opened. His room was dark and cold. A draft of air blew in through his window. His stomach rumbled, alerting him to what had woken him up beforehand. He rolled over to the other side of the bed and tried to sleep.

It rumbled again, refusing to let him rest.

Sunny threw the covers off and sat up in bed when it rumbled for the third time. He sighed. Before he left his room to grab something to eat, he noticed a message on the phone. He answered.

" Hey Sunny, it's mommy. I'm sorry I won't be home that much, I'm still setting things up in the city. I also forgot to ask the electricity company for more time, so the lights will go out sometime tonight. There's food if you're hungry. I'm sorry I don't sound as happy, I had a rough day. That's all, I love you."

Beep.

Sunny sighed, and ran his hand through his hair. He loved his mother but he didn't know how to speak to her. Her and his father were both good people who just didn't know how to deal with the situation they were put in. A frown appeared on Sunny's face. Well, whatever situation that was. It felt like it was just out of his grasp, on the tip of his tongue...

Rumble.

Right, hungry. He needed food.

He peeked out his door and left, closing it softly behind him. The red light shone through the window above the stairs. Was it a blood moon tonight? His eyebrows furrowed. No, no, that wouldn't happen for another year or so. So then, something else was wrong. The electricity was out. Shivers wracked his spine. Right, no electricity meant no heating. The stairs loomed in front of him, almost mocking him. He started to walk down them.

Hissing, scratching noises reverberated. Almost gnawing sounds echoed. Hands gripped the edges of the stairs. Sunny swallowed. It was coming. He didn't know what it was, but he guessed it was bad.

He started to walk down the stairs. They became longer with every step, almost never-ending long until a knife appeared. He picked it up and as Sunny stood he felt a cold breath on his back. Slowly, he turned around.

Behind him, a hand, a huge hyper-realistic hand had appeared.

It was here.

" It's your fault"

It whispered. Features contorted beyond recognition, reaching, and clawing. Sunny tried to fight back but it had no effect. The sounds of screaming, crying, and yelling echoed. Broken strings pinged in the silence, piano chords playing in disturbed symphonies. Everything hurt and everything was too loud.

" Listen to me, Sunny"

It hissed. Sunny tried to fight back again, the stress and tension building up, the sounds he heard becoming louder and louder. STOP STOP STOP STOP!!! It's an agony the noises are so loud everything's so loud can it be quiet please those noises STOP STOP IT BURNS IT HURTS STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP. The sounds only got louder, louder, more violent, more intrusive until all he could hear was screaming, broken piano keys, strings pinging, his sister yelling, the creak of stairs. Stop. Stop.

" Remember...You need to CALM DOWN...Breath in, Breath out.."

Finally, Sunny stopped struggling. The loudness was so loud, the screaming so loud, the piano keys more intense and more infuriating. He closed his eyes and breathed in and out. He focused. The sounds shrunk a bit, so he focused more. His head hurt. His eyes hurt. His teeth hurt. Everything was so loud. It wouldn't stop. It wouldn't stop. Breathe. Breathe. Hit the fucking thing. Get it to shut up. My ears SHUT UP FUCK OFF SHUT UP SHUT UP

He attacked it, pushing it.

The thing fell, but so did Sunny.
Down
Down
Down
Down
Down
Down
Down.