Chapter Two: Strangeness in the Proportion

Well, I certainly didn't invite you." Edgar blinked.

"Invite?" The girl quirked a brow. "No, I'm rather sure you were told I was coming."

"Pardon?" Edgar scoffed.

The girl in question was... odd-looking, in a sense. But beautiful. Strangely beautiful. Most definitely in a sense that had been intended. She was in a suit- black. Almost... a tuxedo. Perhaps it was one. With a silver vest with a velvet paisley overlay underneath, and a silver cravat. Her dark, wavy hair was tied with a simple black ribbon. But on her face was what was truly most peculiar: a pair of tinted spectacles. The frames were circular, the lenses black. Intriguing, thought Edgar. He'd seen these spectacles. They were worn for protection from the sun. Why was she wearing them at night? But more importantly, what in God's name did she mean he'd been told she was coming? He spotted bags behind her. Oh lord, she intended to be staying with him. He'd received no notice of this.

"This is the estate of Edgar Allan Poe, is it not?" The girl checked.

"It is." Edgar furrowed his brows.

"Then I've arrived at the right address." The girl nodded in confirmation. "I'm-"

"Edgar, are you coming?" Lenore asked, popping her head out, before furrowing her brows. Her face dropped into one of realization. "Ohhhhh right. You! I... was supposed to tell Edgar about you..."

"Lenore..." Edgar raised an unimpressed brow.

"That's your... niece or something, right?" Lenore checked with the girl.

"I don't have a niece." Edgar shook his head.

"First cousin once removed." The girl corrected. "Emmeline Poe."

"Which of my cousins was insolent enough to simply... ship their child to me?" Edgar groaned. "Wait. I know who you're going to say..."

"Neilson." They both said in unison.

"I thought he had all boys." Edgar realized.

"Yes, I think that's a widespread misconception." Emmeline flushed red. "Lord forbid anyone knows about the 'Vampyre'."

"Vampyre?" Edgar quirked a curious brow. Yet another oddity. It seemed the girl was full of them.

"That is the cruel name they've bestowed upon me given that I can't be exposed to light." Emmeline grumbled. "Might I enter?"

"I suppose." Edgar sighed, moving so that she could actually fit through the doorway. He watched her carefully drag her luggage alongside her. "How long will you be staying?"

"I'm unsure." Emmeline admitted. "Father told me nothing save for the fact that he wanted me and my macabre away from him and his family."

"But you are his famiy." Edgar furrowed his brows.

"Yes, quite the fun choice he made with his wording, wasn't it?" Emmeline sighed.

"You've come at an... interesting time. I am having a murder mystery dinner party." Edgar changed the subject. He may not be the most socially adept, but he could recognize when he was venturing into dangerous territory.

"Lovely." Emmeline droned, clearly not particularly enthused.

In fact, Edgar realized, she had not once been enthused since arriving. She hadn't even tried to give the impression that she might be happy to be there. She simply stated her situation. Edgar didn't entirely dislike her. Which was odd, given the circumstances. Normally, he would be inherently bitter about Neilson and that would in turn make him bitter towards her. But he got the sense that she had about as much distaste for his bitterest enemy as he himself did. Which was, once again, odd. She was his child. Surely there had to be some fondness. Though it seemed even at a glance that his cousin was ostracizing this girl the very same way he'd ostracized Edgar. Edgar had a funny feeling that was why she was there. His cousin had simply decided to ship his own little black sheep off to the black sheep of the family. Which was about a regular level of cruelty for Neilson, if he was being entirely honest. Perhaps... if Neilson thought this girl was anything like him, then perhaps he might know how to make her feel better about the situation. Why did that even matter to him? He'd never cared about people's feelings before, except Annabel's. But this wasn't that. This was very different. He let a small smirk grace his features.