i'll be home for christmas

Jennie stares at the Christmas lights tangled like a ball of yarn in the storage bin that hasn't been touched in a year. She sighs and sits on the floor, carefully starting to untangle them.

Christmas was never her favorite holiday. She's not sure if it's because she's agnostic, or because she never really celebrated it growing up, or because it's always a "look how much money my family has" competition. But in her adult life, as she sat in her pajamas on the couch watching her wife help their daughter open presents, she started to understand why people love it so much. And maybe she started to love it a little too.

It's always been her wife's favorite holiday. And although their daughter claims every holiday is her favorite to avoid "hurting the other holidays' feelings," Jennie thinks Christmas may be a little ahead of the rest.

But this year, none of them felt the Christmas spirit. No lights were put on the house. No tree in the living room. No gifts wrapped. And no one was there. Besides Jennie.

Jennie knew marrying her high school sweetheart at the age of twenty-two would come with plenty of challenges, but spending Christmas without her wife and daughter was not one she expected.

She continues untangling the mess of lights when she feels her phone vibrate in her sweatshirt pocket. She pulls it out and places it between her shoulder and ear, continuing on the knot she was on.

"Hey," she greets with no emotion. She doesn't really know how to act or what to say anymore.

"Hey," Rosie greets on the other end. "Ella wanted to call and say goodnight."

A lump forms in her throat and she bites her lip. It's only been two nights away from her, but for five years, she's managed to not spend a night away from her, and now she was over a thousand miles away. What if something happens? What if they need Jennie and Jennie can't make it in time? Her head only has a few seconds to fall down that protective rabbit hole before a high pitched, happy voice comes over the line.

After a few fumbles and some muffled talking in the background, a high pitched, happy voice comes over the line.

"Hi ma," Ella says.

Jennie drops the lights in her lap and properly holds her phone. "Hey kiddo. How's Melbourne?"

"It's okay," Ella says and Jennie can picture her nose scrunched up like it always does when she doesn't like something. "I like it better at home. Grammy and Pop say it rarely snows here for Christmas."

Jennie chews on her inner cheek. "Yeah? Well hopefully when you and mommy get home, there'll be snow waiting for you."

Ella squeals. "I hope so." She gets quiet for a second and then whispers, "I miss you."

Jennie tilts her head up and looks at the ceilings. She doesn't want Ella to hear her crying. "I miss you too, baby," she croaks, "But you'll be home soon."

"Yeah," Ella says quietly. "I love you."

Jennie cracks a partial smile. "I love you too."

There's more muffles before her wife's voice returns.

"Hey."

"Hey," Jennie replies.

There's a drawn out silence as they both sit there. Rosie's probably just as unsure of what to say as she is.

"Merry Christmas Eve," Rosie says. It comes out as more of a question, as though she's unsure she should wish Jennie a merry anything.

Jennie sighs loudly, despite trying to hold it back. "Merry Christmas Eve to you too."