a woman like that was really into me

Rosie poured hot coffee into the plain white mug, tapping her toe absently as she watched the liquid swirl. The monotonous music the diner was playing softly was usually enough to focus on that it allowed her to zone out through her whole shift, but it was getting late, and she was expecting Alice like, ten minutes ago.

Setting down the coffee pot, she plastered on her best smile and turned back to the customer who had just sat down at the counter—one of the three customers in at this time of night. "Here you are, sir," Rosie said overly kindly, setting the mug in front of him. He just gave her an appreciative grunt, his eyes dropping to where the top button of Rosie's top was undone. She swallowed uncomfortably and turned away, knowing that he was probably drunk and trying to sober up before going home to his wife to pretend like he didn't check out waitstaff at diners late at night.

She began to anxiously wipe down every counter and table in the diner, even the ones that had already been cleaned since their last patron had left.

Then, finally, the bell on the door chimed brightly, and she immediately looked over at the person walking in. At the sight of her sister, hair curled and makeup a bit smudged from a long night of work, she felt relief flood through her. She made her way back behind the counter, moving as far away from the customers, as Alice came to stand in front of her.

"Well?" Rosie demanded, eyes wide. "Did she go for it?" Alice let out a sigh that immediately answered Rosie's question, and she felt herself deflate. "What went wrong?"

"I guess the press pass made me unappealing," Alice scoffed, her fingers playing with the press pass still slung over her neck and hanging over the black dress she was wearing. "God, all that work to get this pass for these Kim events, and she took one look at me before saying 'No comment' and walking off. I even tried to flirt with her—she literally just turned around."

Rosie groaned, pressing her forehead into her face. "I feel so stupid. I swear, there's a different tabloid cover every week with Jennie Kim slipping off with someone she met at a party. These parties are bigger than ever—this was supposed to work."

"Well, maybe she's had the press sleep with her to get information before," Alice muttered. "But I still have to go to the next two events to keep covering the new gallery opening—maybe I'll get another shot?"

"No, this was our one shot, Al," Rosie argued. "She's already seen your face, even if you hid your press pass and waited until she was wasted, she would probably still remember. There's no way you're getting close to her at this rate."

Alice twisted her lips as she thought carefully, before suddenly, her eyebrows shot up. "Wait, wait... this was my one shot. She's still never seen your face, and we look nothing alike."

Rosie raised an eyebrow. "But I can't get into those parties. You're the journalist."

"You don't need to get in," Alice argued. "The parties are at the Kim Event Center—there's one entrance for guests. You just have to wait outside for when she leaves, and then work your magic." Alice smiled proudly at her idea. "You're better at that part anyway, subtlety is like, your whole thing. And I can tell you when she's leaving."

Rosie chewed on her bottom lip thoughtfully. Her sister did have a point—Jennie had never seen her before, so she could maybe catch the girl's attention. It would be their last shot at getting to the heiress. "Fine. When's the next one?"

"Friday," Alice said, and Rosie nodded, thinking that she would need to give away her Friday night shift. "You sure you're up for it?"

Rosie set her jaw firmly, thinking of her dad and his upcoming trial. Her dark eyes filled with fire as she met her sister's gaze confidently. "Absolutely."