CHAPTER ELEVEN

O11

O11. SEE YOU AROUND, TOPSIDE!
vi and I never should've even come here in the first place... ❞

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

      The girls prepared to face the council with their proposition. Iggy was still dressed in her dirty cropped shirt, a bandage around her stomach and dusty pants—she looked like shit. She'd hope that if she'd met with the council, they'd at least give her something cool to wear. The girls lingered around the room in different spots—Caitlyn reading a book and pacing the floor, Violet laying on the bed with her eyes to the ceiling in thought, and Iggy using Cait's brush in her vanity. They were all moving about mindlessly, or mindfully. After all, they were anticipating meeting the council. They were going to be able to plead their case about who the real problem is. And maybe—just maybe, they could stop treating all of the Undercity like a bunch of rats looking for extinction.

Iggy had her doubts, and she was sure Vi did, too. But she was deciding to keep them to herself until her doubts came to fruition—because they most likely are. Topsiders are extremely predictable, especially when it comes to Zaun. They've never given a shit about them, and most likely, never will. They want to lock them up, and constantly make examples out of them—as if Zaunites don't already despise them all. Hell, when Caitlyn brought her and Violet up, her mother called them strays. While Iggy had nothing against stray animals, she found it extremely rude. And if she wasn't Caitlyn's mother, she probably would have stuffed her foot down that woman's throat—with glee and only a smidge of fear. That woman obviously had grit, and it rubbed offonto her daughter.

She was still warming up to the idea of being acquainted with a topsider. At this point, Caitlyn was the only exception—but, that could change in a dime. Short fuses burn out quickly, wouldn't want to provoke one. "Hey, Cait. I can't help but ask... Has your mom done that before?" Iggy's eyes glinted with amusement, through her shiny mirror. She brushed her deep cherry stands, flipping her hair over a few times. Cait stopped in her path, putting her finger in between the book as it closed. "Has my mom done what?" Eyebrows pulled together with a look of annoyance in her eyes.