Chapter 2 - Home

Waking up the memories of yesterday ran through my head. The new people, the guy I kissed!
I sat up looking around to see them also just waking up. The kids however fast asleep. "Morning" I hummed getting out of my bed and walking over to Mylo. Grabbing his ankle. He winced and tried to pull away. "Oh hush I trying to heal you" I said and he held still. I closed my eyes and felt myself start to glow up again. I slowly opened my eyes, seeing the same markings on my skin glow the same vibrant neon pink, my eyes probably the same as the markings. Then slowly it died down as I stopped healing him. "Feel better?" I asked looking up at him with a soft smile. His eyes were sparkling with awe and wonder. "Incredible" he he whispered before snapping out of it and smiling at me. "Thank you yes it doesn't hurt anymore" I thanked me and I stood up, helping him out of bed. He jumped up and smiled gleefully whne he didn't wince from landing. "Keep the bandage on since I can't heal the swollen parts. It will calm down during the week" I smiled at him as I made my way over to the kids.

"Morning" Claggor smiled at me as he came over aswell. "I've never taken care of children before i don't know how to do it" I said before let my smile fade. I brushed my hand over Ekko's ashy white hair. "You'll do fine. Just be kind and take care of them and let them be children and enjoy their lives for a bit" he smiled at me as my eyes took in the sight of the sleeping boy. He had warmed up to be so easily without even knowing my name. Holding my hand, smiling at me and sitting on my shoulders.

"He warmed up to me so quickly. He doesn't even know my name.." I whispered. "Well he saw you with us, we're a safe space. If we trust you he knows he can trust you" Claggor said, putting a hand on my shoulder and smiling as he looked at Powder. "I'll make breakfast, let's wake them. We'll get you guys new clothes afterwards" I smiled at him and he nodded. I slightly shook Ekko. He groggily yawned and looked up at us but focused on me. "You.." he mumbled "Y/n" I replied with a soft smile. He held out his arms for me and I picked him up, lucky him I'm tall as hell. I held him under his thighs. And he wrapped his arms on my shoulders and rested his head in the crook of my neck. Claggor picked up Powder after waking up her a bit. "Come on kitchen and lunch room is this way" I told him and Mylo. The two followed me.

I put Ekko down by one of the many many tables and walked off to the kitchen. When I got inside I took the herbs and eggs I had traded for and started cooking. Omelette and freshly pressed orange juice for breakfast should cheer them all up. After cooking for a while and finally placing it all on plates I walked out and set down two plates in front of Ekko and Powder who stared at it in wonder. "It's omelets. It's cheese, eggs, herbs and greens. It's good for you" I patted Ekko on the head before walking off. I walked back out and placed down Mylo's, mine and Claggors plates. Then I went back out and came back to place down the orange juice and empty glasses. "Alright eat up" I smiled before sitting down next to Mylo, across from Ekko.

"Y/n this is amazing!" Powder shouted with a mouthful of omelette. "Thank you, i used to help my mother with cooking when I was younger and the children always loved the omelette' s so I had a feeling you would too" I smiled at her as she continued stuffing herself with it. They barely knew how to use forks or knives in eating habits and I could see the, struggling. "You don't have to use the forks or knives. I usually don't either. I only put them here out of habit" I smiled at them. Ekko, Mylo and Powder immediately started eating with their hands. "Out of habit?" Claggor asked as he picked up a bit to eat aswell, dropping his utensils to the side of his plate. "Yeah, I used to cook with my mother so I also set then tables" I smiled as I finished my breakfast. "Where's your family now?" Ekko asked with a smile as he finished his aswell. "Oh uhm.. well they were killed by Silco's goons a while back" I replied looking down at my plate. Before standing up and grabbing the plates as everyone had finished.

"Clean your hands I wanna show you something" I told with with a smile as I returned and took away their empty glasses and the left over juice. "Bathrooms are over there" I pointed to a few doors to the left of the room. They immediately went over as I waited by the door. Ekko was first out and immediately grabbed onto my hand and smiled at me brightly. I smiled back as the others soon joined us. We walked out and I took them to the other side of the tree where there was a huge painting of people from all ages of five to sixty.

"Is this your family?" Mylo asked and I nodded "I have painted everyone I've lost in this tree" I said as I let go of Ekko and walked closer. "The ones down here are my siblings a cousins, up there are my parents, my mother and father. Beside them is my aunts and uncles. My grandmother and father on both sides. In the middle is my youngest sister" I walked closer and put my hand on the painting. "I paint everyone I lose, I thought maybe you'd like to do the same. It makes me feel closer to them" I turned to them with a small smile. "You want to paint our family?"Claggor asked confused "I want you to help me do it. If you want that is" I replied, they looked at each other. "So you can paint Benzo?" Ekko asked walking closer to me "sure" I smiled "and Vi?" Powder came closer and I nodded. "Vander?" Claggor asked as him and Mylo also came close and I nodded.
"Please, yes. If you can we'd love that" Claggor smiled softly at me. I nodded and turned to the side of my family painting. "How about everytime someone dies we paint them on the tree. To show them this new home, to honor them after death or disappearance" I asked and they nodded with smiles.

"I'll need pink paint. I'll trade some fruit for it at the markets next week" I smiled grabbing Ekko's hand and walking over to the old children's sanctuary. "This is where I grew up. There are toys and swings and slides and tunnels that moves all around the place. Feel free to play or just talk or do whatever you want. Me Mylo and Claggor have to talk about some things" I smiled at the two children. They giggled and ran off.
"You grew up a lot better than we did" Mylo said putting a hand on his hip. "In a way yes. But in another way no. I was left to raise my siblings and cousins when I was seven and the adults were killed. Then Silco found me in the markets. He didn't find the tree and has no idea it exists but he found my siblings walking alongside the wall outside. I was forced to bury my family and my baby sister before she was two" I started, still smiling at the sight of the two kids playing.
"My siblings and cousins called me mom because they almost never saw the face of their actual ones" I finished before turning around and walking out the door. The light blinding me for just a second as I took in the sight of my family painting. My mother. My father.

"It's quite usual that you lose your family in the undercity. I was forced to deal with that at a young age just as you were. I know you aren't actually related, but you were adopted by Vander. I lost everything when I was a kid. You were lucky to have someone atleats. And you grew to be a family and you still are one" I looked back at them with a small smile.
"Guess you're part of it now though" Mylo smiled at me. I just chuckled softly before looking back at my family. They walked closer to me and Claggor put a hand on my shoulder to comfort me.
I sighed and said "Welcome home"