Chapter 5: The Jeweled Fowl

Chiapa sped through The Predatory Wetlands, Maya guiding him to the campsite where they'll be staying for the night. After a few minutes of running, going through the darkness of the night, and their only source of light is the moon, they arrive at a treehouse. It looked very modest for a construction to be in the middle of a forest, mainly with all the monsters around the area. However, it seemed like someone had built it by themself as Maya noticed some damages and imperfect pieces of wood placed together. The woman hopped off Maya's battle cat; she turned to the others and spoke in a more friendly tone.

"Everyone, welcome to my home. You'll be staying here for the night, come." Her voice chirped as she announced, her hands gesturing them to climb up the tree and enter her home. Zatz pulled Maya closer as he saw her hesitate to slide off Chiapa.

"What's wrong?"  Trying to find out why she felt suspicious towards this sudden approach to them. Maya looked back to him with her wary face and told him.

"Can we trust her? She was about it attack us!" Her whisper became louder by the second; Zatz pressed his finger against her lips to silence her, avoiding their comrade to hear her offensive words.

"She just saved our lives. In an environment with creatures we have never seen before." Maya now thought of it thoroughly; perhaps they could trust her, then they'll return their journey to find The Savage Beast. She slides off Chiapa, signalling the others to follow her command.

"Thank you for helping us, Senorita." Maya shaped her hand, and the woman returned the favour. A gasp escaped from her throat and startled Maya a bit. "That's right; I haven't told you my name. My name is Rosetta, please to meet you." She turned to the other and had a sheepish smile and a small wave.

"Thank you, Rosetta, may I ask. Where could Chiapa sleep?" Rosetta made a confused murmur and looked at their might beast. Maya's hand rubbed onto his back, patting his black and golden-spotted fur. He growled worriedly, telling her that he wasn't going to stay on the ground while the others stayed safe in the tree. Rosetta smirked as she placed her hand on her hips and told Maya an answer that she was grateful to hear.

"Don't worry; there's plenty of room up there than you think." Maya placed her hand on her chest, indicating that she felt glad for her response; everyone began to climb the ladder, which led them to the campsite while their new ally crawled on the walls with her hands and Chiapa climbed with her to the top of the three. Once they all made it, they saw a messy yet simple living space, with a small fire in the centre; a bed made out of leaves and fur, a wooden shelf and little kitchen on one side of the tree. It seems she lived in a humble home, apart from the other beings in the forest.

"Hold on, let me get some quilts for you." Rosetta went to the shelves and moved supplies, plants and other personal items out of the way. A thing or two fell off and broke off the shelves, Rosetta kept cursing under her breath, and everyone who stood behind her waited shared an awkward moment. Finally, she managed to get all of the quilts for everyone and pass one to them; in return, they said thank you. Despite her generous behaviour, they all still were uneasy from her first impression, almost making them think she was about to attack them. Chimi, on the other hand, seemed curious and excited to meet another person who lived in the forest just like her.

"So...you live here?" She questioned her as she eyed her home, admiring the comfort zone she had created in a habitat surrounded by deadly creatures. "Well, yeah. For the last twenty years." As soon as she said that, Everyone's mouth dropped, although Chimi didn't react so much since she had lived in a forest for most, if not all, of her life. She couldn't compare twenty years with her sixteen years in a forest.
"You lived here for TWENTY YEARS!? How!?" Rico exclaimed in shock, freaking out and recalling how they were almost eaten by a disfigured creature. All Rosetta could do was chuckle as if it was some joke; her laughter sounded charming and charming, like an angel.