Its you, that I lie with, as the world caves in -The Mountain Goats

They tried their best.

They tried to make it work after the discussion they had.

Jayce was still trying to hang out more with his partner and Viktor accepted to put his work aside to enjoy time with the Piltovian man.

They both were making efforts and working on themselves so they could still be together.

Viktor returned at Jayce's home every night again and when he was forgetting to or ending up sleeping in the lab, Talis was the one to come bring him home.

Every night, in the bed, they both were squeezing each other's hoping that together they will be stronger than death.

Every morning, they woke up relieved and grateful to be able to look at the other's living eyes and hearing both of their warm breathing.

Their broken routine was now rebuilt into something more suitable.
For both of them.

The first one to wakes up has to get the other man out of bed so they could do and enjoy breakfast together.

Of course there were exceptions. Sometimes, one of them was too tired to get up and needed extra sleep.

And in those cases, the concerned man could rest longer while the other one was preparing breakfast for both.

And rarely, when they were both too tired to get up, they were allowing themselves to be late for work by staying in bed longer to enjoy more sleepy and cuddling time.

After the morning ritual, they walk on the same way to their initial job and before separating themselves in the corridors, no fears hold back their mouths when they pronounce the words
"I love you"

They kiss and walk away for a new day to begin.

Even if the problem between them has been fixed. Nothing could hide their worries.

Nothing could fix the fate who was dangerously approaching them.

Jayce was already thinking about the day Viktor will let out his final breath and he wanted to make sure he was there for him at every moment.

Like Mel said to him :
"We can't change what fate has in store for us, but we don't have to face it alone"

So Jayce kept this in mind.

But Viktor didn't want to think about it.
His death.

Even though he knew that it was going to happen and he could already feel it getting closer, he still wanted to try saving himself to the point of becoming desperate about it.

Even if it means harming himself.

Like an old friend told him in the past :
"The mutation must survive"

So he did what he thought was the best.

And he did it despite the sacrifices...

Viktor felt more alive for some time. Like he has been reborn but more powerful with a working leg and a better health.

Until he realized how he was in reality doing more harm than good.

But it was too late now. A young smart lovely woman lost her life because of him.. she had so much to accomplish in this world.. she was just like him.

He hated himself for that accident and for what he has become.

He never wanted to be a killer nor a monster..

As he saw how the hexcore had becoming stronger and that it was controlling him, Viktor finally accepted to face the reality.

They failed their dream.