Chapter 9

A secret passageway.

Karen had to go back for a pair of slippers when her bare feet hit the cool unfamiliar ground in the narrow hall.

The cub came back for her, and she wondered if it was only because he couldn't find his way out.

The hall didn't branch off in multiple directions, so it appeared there was only one destination: a blank wall.

She knew if she pressed it, she would end up in another room, but she had no idea where.

The cub looked up at her in seeming impatience.

"Give me a sec, alright?" she said. "You're not the one that's going to get in trouble or embarrassed."

Karen rested her ear against the wall, listening for sounds or voices to give her a clue if she should turn back.

But like her own bedroom, there was nothing but quiet.

She gnashed her teeth, knowing she'd hate herself if she didn't just take the risk.

Heart pumping, she pushed on the wall and the first thing that greeted her was the sight of rows of books on a shelf.

As she opened it wider, she realized she was in a study.

The cub eagerly jumped through her feet to a rich maroon throw rug that covered the floor.

Once she stepped through, she realized the wall this time was actually a book shelf.

"Every time. Every time you find a way out." Tamir was at a huge dark wood desk. The cub leapt into his arms and was scrambling to rub on his face.

"Nice way to talk." She watched him smile as he playfully rubbed the cub's back.

"I was talking to her, not you. Though the statement could still apply."

"Her. I thought it was a boy cub. I've been calling her Tony."

He raised a brow. "You didn't check?"

"A tiger's a tiger. I didn't want to get too familiar."

Tontracts."

"Don't you have lawyers for stuff like that?" She peered at the papers. "This writing looks small and terrible."

"I do have lawyers, yes, but they are advisors only. My money, my call. And I like to know everything."

"That last sentence was the truest of all."

"I know." His eyes carried a glint of mischief.

"How do you have a tiger, Tamir? She's beautiful, but isn't that illegal?"

"I'm actually only a temporary home for her. She was hurt when she was born and had to be operated on. She'll be heading back to her wildlife preserve in a few weeks."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"But... she seems to like you so much. Are you going to be able to let her go when it's time?"

Tamir kneeled to release the cat on the rug. "That is what I promised."

"I'm talking about how you're going to feel. That's different from a promise."

Tamir sat back on the rug with a groan, probably still sore from his fall, not to mention the fighting.

"I will miss her," he said after a time.