Chapter 6

Karen's eyes opened a fraction, then immediately snapped shut against the intense daylight flooding the tent walls. A heavy wind blew, causing the fabric to flap as it buoyed against it.

Opening her eyes a second time, her irises adjusted to the light, and she glanced down at herself to see she was covered with Tamir's white robe.

Her gaze moved across to where the strip of the robe was bunched across Tamir's hips. His languid breathing indicated he was still sleeping, so she let her gaze wonder up his lean, tan frame. Head turned to the side and mouth slightly open, he appeared much younger when serious expressions weren't marring his face. His hair was going in all directions, even hanging over his eyes, tempting her to push the strands away. She refrained in fear she would wake him.

Karen lay there and silently watched him sleep. She wanted to carry this snapshot of him in her head. In the future when she thought of him, this is what she wanted to remember.

Tamir turned on his side, his fist twisting into air while he let out a small groan from tired muscles stretching.

Dark brown eyes opened to see Karen cuddled underneath his white robe, still sound asleep at... What time was it exactly?

Pondering the time was quickly forgotten as he slowly took in her form. She appeared peacefully innocent as she slept, but he knew she was far from that. He could still feel her hands exploring his skin, and the taste of her tongue, teasing him as it curled in his mouth.

His smile was involuntary, and he turned from her, biting his lower lip.

Reaching for her, he paused, not completely sure how to go about this. A part of him didn't want to wake her.

Gently he shook the side of her knee. "Imp... Karen. Wake up, please."

Her eyes slowly opened, and when their gazes met, she became startled and sat up. "Shit, what time is it?"

Nude except for the cloth they shared covering his groin, he patted across his chest. "I seem to have misplaced my watch."

Karen smashed her fingers over her eyes. "Geez, it's bright in here."

Tamir let out a short laugh before attempting to stand. He held the cloth over him and realized the situation when she grabbed it.

They stared at one another; he was going to say something, but thought better of it when he realized they hadn't actually seen one another naked.

"I suppose I am the one who must give up modesty."

Karen offered him a sarcastic frown. "You could always use a pillow."

"I could always use my robe." He gave it a light tug, noting her firm grip before he let it fall. Without missing a beat, he stood and walked over to the chest where he kept fresh clothes.

Fully aware of the fact that she watched him, he calmly pulled out a pair of tan slacks and a white shirt, tapping his fingers against an old box as he rummaged through the bottom for a pair of undergarments.

After quickly washing up via water basin and putting on the underwear, he pulled the box from the chest and brought over to her, sinking back down into the pillows.

She offered him an inquisitive look as he opened it.

Inside were several pictures, including one with him and his parents, both of whom had passed away over twenty years ago. He offered her another picture.

As she held it in her hands, he watched her blink several times.

"Oh my God! I remember the day this was taken." It was a picture of them smiling in front of the embassy, his arm hung loosely around her as she'd jokingly taken a huge lock of his hair, much longer then, and held it between two fingers.