Chapter 15

Tamir could not believe what was happening.

Thirty minutes before they were due to remove their masks and Karen was arm wrestling against one of his dates for him. He assumed Dira was the stronger of them as she elegantly sat at the table where the match was to take place.

Dira was taller and fuller than tiny Karen in every way. Tamir had no idea if this was going to work out.

And no one had asked his opinion.

"Exactly what is going on here?"

Warren had returned with a generous glass of alcohol.

Tamir remained silent for a moment, contemplating whether to answer at all.

"They are about to have an arm wrestling match."

"Really?" A small crowd was beginning to gather, likely following Shaeffer. "And what's the wager?"

"Me."

Warren's usually shrewd eyes grew round. "You're joking?"

"Not at all."

He assumed she was also wagering her interview. The women were keeping the details to themselves.

Karen sat down on the other side and the two women positioned their arms across the table.

"A man that goes from rescuing refugees in Libya to having women fight over him in Monte Carlo. Hell of a life, old chum."

Karen turned to face him before locking hands with Dira.

"You had him," Dira said. "You shouldn't have given him up so easily."

Tamir didn't like Dira's confidence at all.

Karen didn't seem too fazed by her words.

"Who's calling the start?" Warren asked, looking sideways.

Tamir barely heard him as anticipation began warming his blood.

"I guess I will," Warren answered with a shrug when no one else did.

Then Warren leaned forward a bit, his hair falling over his eyes. Tamir realized he might have been a little drunk.

"I'm not sure how these go, actually," Warren admitted. "Ladies, are you ready?" He paused for dramatic effect. "Begin."

The women's arms tightened, and Tamir actually wished he had a drink.

Sulia loudly encouraged Dira, whose mouth was tight with her strain.

Slowly but surely, she began leaning Karen's forearm down toward the table.

Warren leaned back to whisper to Tamir. "I just realized either way you win."

Tamir frowned as he stared at the table.

It appeared Karen had overestimated Dira's ambition.

"I believe I will have a new party favor from here on in." The crowd noise around them started to rise as the seconds ticked on. Warren lifted his glass in appreciation.

"Sheikh Rahman is mine." Dira's voice was low but Tamir heard every word.

He gritted his teeth against cheering for Karen.

Perhaps they should have raced instead.

The women's hands tightened around each other.

Tamir stepped forward, opening his mouth to call it off before someone got hurt.