Chapter 37 - Bonding with the brothers

~ The next morning ~

SAGE'S POV

*Tap* *Tap* *Tap*...

*Tap* *Tap* *Tap* *Tap*

Begrudgingly, I open my eyes and sleepily look around the room searching for whatever is making this noise. My eyes travel all over the room and linger a bit on the window before I let myself sink back on the bed, not seeing anything.

"I must have imagined it." I silently mutter to myself and pull the covers back over me.

"Crá CRÁ!"

*Tap* *Tap* *Tap*

"CRÁ CRÁ!"

"Damn it, I should have known it was you!" I facepalm myself over my stupidity and get up to open the window for him.

"You're an annoying bird, especially in the mornings, Ray Ray. Did you know that?" I tell him as I open the window and his response is to bite my hand lightly and hop on my shoulder.

"*Yawn* Let's go downstairs, Ray. I have a lot to do today. I need to contact my hacker in America and have him hack my dad's bank account to get my money back. I need to pay Meredith back for the expenses I'm dropping on her by being here." Ray Ray makes a 'scoff' like sound and starts grooming my hair.

"Are you mocking me, bird?" I stop midstep and watch Ray Ray's reaction. He takes his head from in between the mess I call hair and tilts his head to the side in a mischievous way.

"Of course you were, I should be expecting this from a rude bird like you." I roll my eyes and make my way towards the kitchen, where I heard Isaack and Hazel's voices.

"Sage? Dear? Is everything ok?" Meredith calls out from the kitchen.

"Yeah. Don't worry." I walk inside the kitchen and bid them good morning.

"I was just talking with Ray Ray."

"Who, dear?" Meredith asks me again without taking her eyes of the pancakes she's making.

"WoW! That's a big raven! Or is it a crow? Eh, I don't know and I don't care. He's so cute!" Isaack gushed. This time Meredith takes the pancake off of the stove and turns to face me, when she sees Ray Ray she looks shocked.

"I'm sorry for not asking if I could let Ray Ray inside but if you don't like or want him here or if someone is allergic to him I can send him outside." I quickly rushed out, not wanting to overstep my boundaries.

"No, no, dear... I was just surprised. It's not every day that I have a crow inside my kitchen." Meredith gives me a small smile and hands me a plate with pancakes and a glass of chocolate milk.

"I don't know if you like this or not but your aunt wants me to give you sugary things to try and get your weight up and keep you from passing out during the day... If you want anything else just tell me and I'll make it." I slowly eat the pancakes while listening to Meredith, taking notice of how these pancakes taste very well.

"No, Meredith, there's no need for that. I'll eat anything you make. I'm already troubling you too much by being temporarily living in your house." I absently tell her, while eyeing the soft, gold piece of pancake on my fork trying to figure out if later on today I'm going to regret eating them or not. My mom's pancakes were disguised killers, they looked gold and tasty, had a weird flavor and then they sent you to your death bed!

"Sage, are you ok?" Hazel asked me, looking very worried at my reaction to breakfast.

"Yeah."

"Are you sure dear? If you don't like the pancakes you don't have to eat them." Meredith assured me.