Sweaty Hands

"What are we gonna do?" Keomi asked, her skin several shades paler than it should be. She and her brother stared at the disaster ahead of them with wide, terrified eyes. "She'll kill us when she sees all this!"

The twins were in for it now. Their dad was running detention today, so he wasn't home, and their mom had run out to get some groceries. She simply asked them to clean up the dishes before she could get home. They of course agreed, too distracted by the video game they were playing to actually register what she said until they were already completing level fifteen.

When it finally clicked, in sync, the twins looked to each each other, threw their controls at each other on accident, and took off for the kicthen. Now, Kumi was on her way home, and the dishes were as dirty as ever, Keomi had a growing welp on her forehead, and Kento had a swollen lip.

"I have a solution." Kento said suddenly.

Keomi let out a sigh of relief, allowing her tense shoulders to relax. "Thank goodness."

"It involves fire."

"Absolutely not."

*

"I'm home!" Kumi called as she stepped in the door, her arms full of groceries. She accidentally knocked the vase off the small table she always threatened to move. She'd really have to do that one of these days. She cringed at the shattered mess at her feet. "Uh... don't come by the door without shoes on!" She called again with a light chuckle as she opened her wings and fluttered over the broken glass. She peeked into the living room, finding the game paused, pillows thrown on the floor, and an xbox controller in the wall. She groaned and turned down the hall. "Keomi, Kento- how many times do I have to tell you? Keep the pillows off the floor-"

Keomi and Kento whirled around with grins much too big directed at their mother as she walked into the kitchen. Kumi's eyes landed on the empty sink before switching her gaze to her kids. They were leaning awkwardly on the pantry door. Were they sweating? Why were their faces all jacked up? "Heyyy, mom~" Keomi sang, her voice cracking. She cleared her throat, shifting to lean her elbow on the doorknob. "How was the trip to the store? Did you give out any autographs?"

Kumi rose a brow at their behavior. "Fine... Air has no traffic, if you don't count Hawks. And yes, I gave out a few. Someone even wanted a selfie, too." She opened the fridge, putting away the milk as she smiled. "Thank you for doing the dishes like I asked."

Keomi and Kento shared a nervous glance, the latter widening his grin almost painfully. "N-no problem. Anything for our extraordinary mother!"

Keomi's head snapped towards him, swiftly elbowing him in the gut. Kumi's eyes narrowed in suspicion at the pair. She placed a hand on her hip as the twins grew sweatier by the second. "What are you hiding?"

"Hiding? What do you mean hiding? We're right here- out in the open. Definitely not hiding. Nor are we hiding anything! There's no reason to check the pantry, because there's nothing in there. So, yeah." Keomi looked on at her mom confidently after having said that all in one breath. Kento sent his own elbow to her gut.

Kumi was unimpressed. "Kento only uses extravagant compliments when he's hiding something, and you talk like a mouse on speed. Double wammy. Now, either you tell me what's going on, or let me put this stuff in the pantry that's definitely not hiding anything." She walked over with the remaining groceries, but the twins were unmoving. She rose a brow expectantly. "Well?"

Kento cringed. "Mom, if we tell you, it'll only make you mad. Putting kids up for adoption is a lot harder than you'd think. We don't want you to go through that kind of hassle."