Chapter Forty-Six: I Am Iron-Man

Music is "BB's Theme" by Ludvig Forssell feat. Jenny Plant.

Picture is Tatiana Maslany as Emma Barnes.

·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX: I Am Iron-Man

The ground gives way as the witch starts to toss large chunks of the earth at the Mad Titan. It takes his focus off T'Challa just long enough for him to get away. Sam pulls ahead and swoops down in an attempt to assist the King in retrieving the fallen gauntlet, but the item they seek is magically carried away by one of Thanos' generals. He throws Sam off-balance, causing him to go into a tailspin as T'Challa makes a leap for the gauntlet. Trapped in the alien's grip, Spider-Man swoops in and snatches the glove just in time to make away with it.

"I've got it!"

I make eye contact with Bucky, and both of us in silent agreement take off towards Peter Parker. Steve and Grant remain behind to keep enemies off our tail, but we cover the battlefield in seconds as Spider-Man slings one web after another above us.

"Peter, we have your back!" I shout, thankful for the coms that somehow still work after five years. One of the Chitauri makes a run at him, but between my staff and Bucky's ammunition, it doesn't even get close.

"Than--Wait, whoa!"

Fire rains from the sky, coming from the ships above us. Thanos seems to have given the kill order after his near-death experience with Wanda Magicians and wizards put spherical barriers overhead while armored soldiers place shields over themselves and others. We brace for impact and dodge as best we can.

A hoard of aliens, coming seemingly from nowhere, cut Peter off dead in his tracks. Another group of them separates us from him, and I hear him activate something he calls "Instant Kill Mode." The eyes of his suit turn red, and spider legs pop out of the back to protect him. Bucky drags me behind him as he takes out the nearest to us, and I jump into flight above us.

"Ah...shit! Kid's outnumbered." Bucky grunts. It's taking all his focus to keep our group at bay, but he's right. I can see the numbers growing on Peter as he struggles to keep even a foot of distance between him and the aliens.

Without thinking, I take off through the air as Peter starts to scream for help. "Overhead!" I shout down to him. Coming in hot, I swing my staff with everything I've got. It creates just enough space for Spider-Man to slip through the cracks, shoot a web towards my outstretched arm, and haul both of us out of the alien clutches. He clutches to the Gauntlet with everything he has, and I push my boots to maximum speed.

"Hang on, I have you!"

"And we, you!" a voice says from my left flank. Turning slightly, I see an Asgardian Valkyrie riding a winged horse. Beside her is Pepper Potts in a suit much like her husband's.

They remain at our side as we continue through the air, dodging ships and Chitauri and blasts alike. For a moment, in the distance, I see the brown van that Scott and his partner have taken refuge in. That's our target.

Another beam of fire strikes a little too close, and before I can adjust, all four of us go flying thanks to the heat and explosion in its wake. Despite my best efforts, Peter's web incinerates and he falls somewhere below. I dive for him, but I'm knocked off course by a second blast. I lose Valkyrie and Pepper somewhere along the way, barely able to break my own fall enough so that the wind isn't knocked out of me. When I raise my head, I see the others fighting similar fates. Thanos' armies are not distinguishing between friend and foe - they let the volleys roll, and I'm blinded by the lights.