Wishing On A Cowboy Chapter 2 part 1

Rolly Ford had been a classmate of Maggie and Hunter. He was the high school quarterback, sexy as all get out. Some things do change. His blue eyes still twinkled. His belly had rounded and his hair was thinning. He smiled at her and his grin was still stunning.

“Long time no see, Mags.” He took her hand in his and gave it a gentle squeeze. The peculiar way he studied her led her to believe that he too thought she was an addict.

She slowly withdrew her hand and smiled. “Nice to see you too Rolly.”

“I’m here on official business.” He gave Cindy a long stare. Finally she slammed out the front door.

Sighing,Maggie wondered if they would ever get along. “Hunter said you have a package for me?”

“Yes, your mother left it for you.” He handed her a large manila envelope. “She was a good woman.”

She smiled. “Yes she was.” Her heart hurt knowing she’d hurt her mother in the end. “Should I open this while you’re here?”

“I would. Its legal documents. Your mother used another lawyer. They sealed the envelope and put it into my care.”

“You might as well have a seat.” The envelope looked innocent enough. The contents scared her. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Her heart beat as she opened it. Reaching inside she grabbed the documents and pulled them out.

They certainly looked like legal papers. “Rolly could you turn on that light so I can read these better?”

“Sure thing, honey.” He stood and turned the lamp on. He still had the grace of a quarterback.

“You’re right, you’ll have to explain them to me. It says she left me something?”

Rolly took the papers she offered and read them quickly. “Here’s the gist of it. Your Mother left you a herd of cattle. It says that they have been on the Peter’s ranch since your dad died. I’ll have to read this in more detail but it mentions a bank account.”

Maggie was stunned. “You’re kidding me.”

“Well hold up. I don’t know where the money for the upkeep of the cattle comes from and all the other details. I would like to take these papers and get all the information for you.”

“Rolly that would be great.” She frowned and looked at the envelope again.

“What’s wrong?”

“I thought there’d be a note from my mother. That’s what I hoped would be inside.”

“She loved you you know that right?”

“Yes I know. It’s just the rumor she started about me being in rehab that has me upset.”

Rolly leaned forward and took her hand again. “Honey, she didn’t start the rumor. She just never denied it. She told me once that she didn’t want to fan the flames and she hoped it would all die down.”

It was a small band aide for her tattered soul but she’d take it. “Thanks Rolly.”

He stood to leave and gave her a kiss on the cheek. “I’m glad you’re back, Maggie.”

“I appreciate that Rolly.”

She looked out the front window and watched him stop and talk with Hunter before he drove off. Good Ole Rolly. Everyone thought that they were a couple. It wasn’t like that. They were friends but Rolly wasn’t interested in her. Smiling she remembered thinking of him as dreamy. The quarterback and the home coming queen. People assumed they were together.

“So what the lawyer want? Is there a warrant for your arrest or something?” Cindy startled Maggie.

“I didn’t hear you come in.”

Cindy gave her a smile of accomplishment. “I know. See you have to be careful you never know where I might be.”

A chill spread through Maggie’s body. She wasn’t going to take the bait. “Yes that was a lawyer. An old friend of mine.”

“Did you do him under the bleachers?”

“No not with him.” She hoped to catch Cindy off guard.

The door opened and Hunter’s smile was very welcome. “Good to see Rolly. He said he had some papers for you.”

She watched as he took off his hat and hung it on the hat rack. His curious green eyes studied her. “Yes, something about a herd of cattle at the Peters’ place.”

Hunter whistled through his teeth. “I wondered who that herd belonged to. Peters has been tight lipped. It’s a big herd.”

“Really? Rolly is going to check and see who has paid to keep them there.”

Cindy laughed. “Guess she didn’t trust a druggie with her cattle.”

Hunter scowled. “Cindy one more word-“

“And what? Are you going to send me to my room?” She crossed her arms in front of her and stamped her foot.

Maggie tried to keep her face averted but being on the couch left her little choice but to watch. She didn’t want to get in the middle of it. She was in the middle she conceded but she didn’t want to cause trouble. She liked Cindy’s spirit but she was a defiant child.

“I just might, young lady.”

Cindy’s mouth hung open. She closed it and stomped out the room.

“Maybe it’s better if I leave.”

Hunter squatted down next to her. “I have you here Maggie, finally. Just stay.”

“What do you mean by finally?”