Wishing On A Cowboy

Gazing out the window, she remembered how gentle Hunter’s hands were. His kisses always left her reeling. She wished that she had known just how special the chemistry had been.

Her stubborn streak and her I know it all attitude cost her dearly. Now Hunter knew her shameful secret and soon his wife would too. Pity she couldn’t deal with. She’d had enough for herself to last a lifetime. She tried to come up with a plan for her future. Nothing seemed feasible and before she knew it, they were driving up to Hunter’s Ranch.

She reached for the door handle and stopped. She turned and studied Hunter. “Is your mom still living here?” She dreaded the answer. Mrs. Collins had always been kind to her.

“No, she’s at the retirement home. She’d rather play bingo and go on group outings with her friends. She couldn’t drive anymore and I didn’t always have time to drive her.” He smiled at her. “She’s happy there.”

Maggie nodded. She opened the truck door and slowly got out. There’d be a new Mrs. Collins to meet. She’d smile for Hunter’s sake. He deserved to be happy. She was the one that left.

Hunter reached into the cab and gathered Jake into his arms. The little white and brown dog looked so tired. He did manage to lick Hunter’s hand once and then just lay quietly.

The front door opened and the screen door slammed. A young girl with black braids trailing behind her as she ran, came flying toward them.

“Cool! He’s going to be okay isn’t he?” The concern in her brown eyes touched a piece of Maggie’s heart.

Hunter gave her a loving smile. “Sure he will, tidbit. All he needs is your special TLC.”

The girl beamed at him.

“Where are my manners? Cindy this is Maggie. Maggie had some car trouble.”

“Nice to meet you, Cindy.”

Cindy examined her from head to toe. Her big frown said it all. “Hi, whatever. We’d better get Jake inside, Dad.” She accentuated the word dad and glared at Maggie.

Hunter didn’t seem to notice. He smile down at Cindy and nodded. Together they started for the house. Hunter glanced over his shoulder. “Coming?”

“Of, of course.” Too many questions swirled in her head. Starting with who was Cindy and why was she calling Hunter dad?