Wishing On A Cowboy

The bruises on her body were testament that her choice to leave was unwise. He wanted to cradle her and tell her that everything would be all right. She should have never left. Hunter shook his head. You can’t undo stupid.

Maybe he could help Maggie find a job. That was a sensible solution. Who he’d ask he didn’t know. Lots of people were fed up with Maggie’s I’m so out of here attitude. It broke her mother’s heart when she left.

He’d better call Rolly, the town’s lawyer. Rolly had stopped over right after Maggie’s mom died. He said he had a package for her. Hunter took the clean bandana out of his back pocket and wiped his brow with it. Finally, the last stall was clean. He could really use some help around here. Hunter swore at himself. He wanted those thoughts banished.

****

Maggie got to the couch and sat with a groan. In comparison she wasn’t that hurt. Her ankle would be fine in no time and for the bruises, they always faded. She wished she could go out to the barn. Hunter always had good horses. It’d been forever since she rode.

The door opened and she turned, only to be greeted with a huge frown. Hunter never was very good at hiding his feelings.

“I thought you were supposed to stay in bed.”

“No, the doc said to rest. I’m resting.”

His loud sigh made her sad. “I’ll be out of your hair in a few days. So, tell me about your horses.” She smiled.

Hunter stared at her, shook his head and finally smiled. “I have some fine horses, Maggie. I’ll take you out to see them when you’re healed.”

The smile on her face faded. She’d never be healed and whole again. “That would be great.” The hollowness of her voice made her cringe. She needed to buck up.

“Cindy rides. In fact she reminds me of you. She loves to barrel race. Do you still ride?”

It felt as though her heart was breaking. “No. There weren’t any horses where I lived.”

Hunter met her gaze and held it. “That’s the saddest thing I’ve ever heard. I’m glad you’re back where the horses are. Oh. I came in here to call Rolly. He has a package for you. He mentioned it after your mom died.”

Her mind began to whirl, wondering what the package could be. “Is Rolly still a Lawyer?”

“That he is and a hell of a poker player to boot.”

Maggie was surprised by the laughter that came out of her. “He loses all the time doesn’t he?”

Hunter grinned at her. “Yep. You’re still on to me.”

Maggie looked away. “You are an open book.”

“If you could read me so well then why did you leave? Wait don’t answer.” He walked to the door and out he went.

She’d been selfish. She never thought about how she hurt the people she left. She knew that Hunter had a crush on her but by the look in his eyes, it had been much more than a crush. Life had left her with a torn soul. It looked as though it left Hunter with a broken heart.