Wishing On A Cowboy

“Just so you know, I don’t keep alcohol or anything stronger than an asprin around here.” His green eyes flashed and his mouth formed a grim line.

Talk about being blindsided. She wiped her tears, shrugged her shoulders and finally looked away from his penetrating gaze. Nothing made sense anymore. It didn’t matter. She’d be on her way soon enough.

The silence of the room engulfed her in an uneasy feeling. Why didn’t he just leave? Maggie waited for the sound of his footsteps retreating but all she heard was silence. Finally she turned toward him. The compassion in his eyes made her ache. He really thought she was some type of addict. She immediately though of Laren the girl they were friends with who’d gotten into drugs early and fled town. That must have been over eight years ago. Last she’d heard was Laren had died.

Maggie sat up and returned his stare. “Oh no, is Cindy?”

“You didn’t know? Did you think I found her by the side of the road? She was sent to live with her grandmother. You remember Laren’s mom don’t you? She didn’t want Cindy any more than she’d ever wanted Laren. I stepped in. We’re hoping to make the adoption official real soon.”

She had a sudden urge to brush her hand against his cheek. She wished she had the right to pull his head toward hers and kiss him. He thought her an addict that he couldn’t trust. Her affection would be unwanted. Ashamed she tore her gaze from his. Addict or not she still felt broken.

“You are a kind man, Hunter. I admire you.”

His eyebrows rose. “I find that surprising. You didn’t think much of me when you left town. In fact you thought so little of me you didn’t bother to say good bye.”

His words hit home. Just hearing the hurt, she couldn’t imagine how he felt when he found out she left. “I was wrong, immature and stupid. I thought I was too good for this hick town. I thought that bright lights and opportunities were waiting for me. You know that saying. You never know what you had until it’s gone? That’s me.”

The doubt in his eyes grew too much to bear. “I’ll be gone soon. I don’t know where the addict rumor came from but it’s not true. I can see that you don’t believe me. I should have stayed away.”

“Awe Mags, stay and get well. This place is plenty big enough for all of us.”

Finally she nodded and watched as he strode out the door, his boot steps echoing. The from door opened and closed and then once again all was silent.