Skyline - Chapter Thirteen

I kept walking. I had no other choice, what else could I do? They probably got lost in conversation and forgot about me. Maybe they had picked up the pace, while I fell behind. That was it. I'll catch them up if I hurry. I searched the crowds before me, which had appeared all of a sudden, as the sky darkened. I overtook the men and women, rushing to where they were meant to be. Panic rose inside of me and I began running. 

I dodged between the stampedes of people walking towards me. They couldn't have gone far. As I continued to run; the crowds thinned out. I had no idea where I was. The names on the signs were of places I had never heard of before. I kept running, kept going. I kept hoping, praying, that Nio and Dee where just a few steps ahead of me. Come on, where were they? Had they noticed that I was missing? Had they taken a shortcut? Gone down a different alleyway? Had they purposely left me?

Hope drove me onward. I stopped to ponder whether to stop a passerby, though there were few about the streets now.  I looked up towards the sky, hoping it would give me answers. It was grey; the dark clouds overhead hid the sun, and the blue sky. First one, then two, then three, then a thousand drops of water fell upon the ground, and me. I squinted, but kept running through the heavy rain.

I was soaked right through by the time the rain eased. I shivered as the wind blew through me. This is useless. There is nobody except for me out here. Nio and Dee have left me. Purposely? I do not know. I do not want to know. But I know I am going to have to find my own way. Again. Though this time I am totally unprepared. With nothing but the soggy clothes I'm wearing. I walked forwards. Maybe I'll finally come up to the Skyline Sanctuary, like in the movies me and Dee watched; when everything is alright in the end. 

'You're going to be fine', I told myself. Onward we go, I thought, keeping my head down.

When I finally looked up, taking in my surroundings, I thought I recognized the buildings around me. I started to speed up, hoping that I was nearer Skyline. I looked about myself, searching for a familiar alley, or any familiar faces from Skyline. There were more people about the streets, enough for me to miss someone from Skyline. I had to be careful. I had to look into their eyes. It was the only way. The streets became crowded once more as the rain died out.

Something ahead of me caught my eye. Something blue. No. My dream? I ran towards where I thought I'd seen the blue from my dream. I turned the corner, to where I thought I'd seen it go. I looked down the nearly deserted street.  A little boy walked down it, holding his mother's hand. He gripped, in his other hand, the ribbon of a blue balloon.

I'm being paranoid, I thought to myself. It's not like dreams can become reality. It's impossible. I continued down the street where the little boy had gone. I walked along, searching for any landmarks I recognized. Any sign that Skyline was near. Any hope at all. There was nothing that I knew here, though the place still had a sense of familiarity to it. Then I found something that I instantly remembered, though it wasn't really a something. There walking down the street, with his hands in his pockets, scuffing his shoes against the concrete. Walking along the other side of the road; was Tyrell.

I walked briskly down the street, not wanting to attract any attention. As soon as I rounded the corner; I ran as fast as possible. Away from Tyrell. Away from all the problems and questions and apologies that would take place if I went back to him. 

What was he doing here? How long had it been? Almost a year now? 

Though it seemed only yesterday that I saw the whites of his eyes, and the shock on his face, as I left, leaving nothing but another hole in his heart. 

Is he here looking for me? Or has he moved out of the farmhouse? Is he living here now, in the city? 

There were so many questions to be asked, to be answered. But I kept running away from him. With few people on the street it became difficult to blend in. 

I need to get out of here. Now. I looked around frantically, searching for a place to hide, a place of safety, a sanctuary. I begged that Skyline was just around the corner. But I soon realized I was still completely lost. Though I knew where I was. I knew exactly where I was. It was impossible. But it was the only chance I had. I scanned the crowds ahead of me; for blue hair. I'm sure it was blue hair that I saw. 

I ran, faster than ever. Looking over my shoulder; occasionally catching a glimpse of Tyrell. He was behind me. Had he seen me? My only instinct was to run, and to find the blue. Though I didn't know what to do when I found it, how would I know I've found it; I woke up before I could see what it was. 

Why didn't I pay more attention to Dee and Nio? Because maybe this was meant to be. I was meant to get completely lost. I was meant to find the blue hair from my dream. I was meant to run from Tyrell. You can't change the future once it's been shown before your very own eyes, can you? 

I continued to run. I couldn't see any blue haired girl anywhere. Maybe it was just a dream. Maybe she doesn't exist. But then again, Tyrell is here. And he was in my dream too. I searched for her everywhere. Then I turned the next corner, and everything blurred before my eyes. I continued to run, without even thinking it. So I stopped to catch my breath, looking about me. 

I looked for the blue hair. It was utterly hopeless. She wasn't here. I decided to give up, and just continue running from Tyrell. 

I ran. I turned another corner, hoping to shake him off. Once I'd gotten half way down the street; I turned around, to find Tyrell across the road, staring right back at me. 

Instinctively I turned around, bumping into a girl. "I'm so sorry," I said, looking up.  

A smile grew upon my face, the adrenaline running through my veins. She turned her head sharply, her dark eyebrows furrowed, her damp blue hair whipping the air.

She looked me straight in the eyes. The deep purple glowing eyes bore into mine.

Aris?