Heat

Frankie had texted Amanda a few days after she had met her. She wanted to catch up with her. She had always thought Amanda was a sweet and much down-to-earth girl. She actually hated the fact that they had lost all kinds of contact they had but it was like that with all the people Frankie had known. When she moved to Manchester she stopped communicating with the people she knew in London and when she had moved back to London she stopped seeing the ones in Manchester.  When she moved back to London she really wished that she had kept in touch with some of her friends in London because she had never felt more alone. It helped when she started working at the restaurant and met some of the people working there. She had become very close to a few of her co-workers and she liked it because it made her working days a lot better. She was lucky enough to hang out with her friends while she was working. She didn't talk much to them outside of work and most of the days she was okay with it because she had always enjoyed being alone. Although lately it seemed like the last thing she wanted to be.

Amanda and Frankie had decided to catch up over a cup of coffee in a small cafe near Trafalgar Square. When they used to hang out they had always gone to Trafalgar Square. Their whole group of people would take up most of the space in the cafe. Even though Frankie used to know Amanda she was quite nervous about meeting her again. What would they talk about? She kept thinking. She was a shy girl and it almost stressed her out when she had to meet new people. She wasn't good at asking questions or talking about herself. Her life was dull and she didn't want to bother people with the things that never happened.

"Hey girly!" Amanda said loudly when she caught eye of Frankie sitting at a table in the back of the cafe. Frankie smiled politely and responded with something that sounded like, hi. Amanda had always been extrovert and never shy. She was the kind of girl who liked to flirt with guys and wear short skirts just to attract male attention. Frankie was the opposite; the less people who recognised her the better she felt. She liked to wear a pair of jeans and a jumper and when she went clubbing she normally wore a nice pair of denims spiced up with a pair of heels and a top. Sometimes she wondered how she could be so good at serving tables when she was so shy but she came to the conclusion that it was because she had rules and that people told her what to wear and what to do. She didn't have to have endless conversations with guests about how her day had been and what she was doing when she wasn’t working. She had to have short conversations revolving around the food mostly and the centre of the attention would always be the guests.

"How have you been? Tell me everything?" Amanda told her when she sat down at the table. A waiter soon came to ask if she wanted anything. Frankie had already got a cup of coffee. Frankie couldn't help but study the way other people waited. Maybe she would eye a smart move.

"Well not much has happened really. I just get up in the mornings, go to work and go to bed at night." Frankie told her.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" Amanda asked excitingly. She had always been a good talker. Frankie shook head. "A lover?" Again she shook her head.

"But you have a boyfriend I reckon?" Frankie said wanting to change the subject. "Have you been together for long?" Amanda had always had a hard time keeping the guys she found. She had never been a one-man-girl; not that she had cheated but she had just always paid much attention to other guys when she should just have focused her attention on one.

"About one and a half year." Amanda said.

"Wow. It must be love then." Frankie smiled caringly.

"Harry really is the best." She could see the way Amanda lit up when she spoke of Harry. Her eyes glittered like the star on top of the Christmas tree and her smile was the same as the children’s smile when they woke up on Christmas morning and saw all the presents under the tree.