Rocket Attack

Frankie leaves Niall after just one month

It was a tearful Friday morning as Niall Horan of One Direction said goodbye to his girlfriend, Frankie Sturridge. Frankie, 19, has signed up for six months on the British military base Camp Bastion in Afghanistan.

Harry and his girlfriend Amanda had come to wave her off too. Frankie was crying hard as she said goodbye to Niall. A source told us:

“Niall is devastated. Obviously he is very concerned and didn’t want her to leave but it wasn’t his decision to make. He has been very quiet about the whole thing.” 

We think that with One Direction’s upcoming world tour he will be very busy and six months will pass quickly.

The source added:

“Niall hasn’t been known for dating a lot of girls and he feels that he has finally met someone special and now he is afraid to lose her. He is concerned about what will happen to their relationship. He is determined to make it work though.”

When he got back from the airport Niall tweeted: Worst day in a long time. Bad news is that it’s probably only gona get worse.

Harry also tweeted: Just said goodbye to a good friend of mine. Hope she’s going to have a safe trip.

While Frankie is away we’ll just have to make sure the One Direction boys are smiling and having a good time. We think that once their world tour has kicked off they will be having the time of their lives. We know we will.

-----

It had been a week since Frankie had left and Niall had only spoken to her once and it was only for a few minutes. She had been very tired and needed to adjust to another environment and time zone. Niall’s heart had fallen into his stomach when he spoke to her. She had been crying over the phone and told him that she didn’t like it there. He had told her that she probably just needed to adjust and get to know the people better. What he had really wanted to tell her was that she should just come home. That she didn’t have to be there if she didn’t want to. But he had to be supportive and try to calm her down. It wouldn’t help if he just told her to come home.

The band had started rehearsing for tour a few weeks ago and at least it kept his mind of things for a little while. He had also tried to keep himself busy by visit hanging out with friends. He was in love with Frankie and they were in the honeymoon state and he just felt miserable without her. But the worst part was that he was concerned about her. He couldn’t tell himself that: at least she’s not in danger today, because she was in danger everyday for the next six months. And that was the worst part of it all. Niall couldn’t help but read the news on the Internet every day. He needed to know if anything had happened and it calmed him a bit when there weren’t any news. No news was good news. Niall opened The Guardian’s homepage to check for any news. He read the headline: Rockets fired at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan. His heart stop for a brief moment and he was showered with worry.

Rockets fired at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan

Helmand province base comes under attack, but Ministry of Defence says no casualties reported.

Insurgents have launched a rocket attack on the main coalition military base in Afghanistan's Helmand province.

The heavily fortified Camp Bastion, which accommodates up to 4,000 UK, American, Danish and Estonian troops, was targeted at about 6.30pm local time as darkness fell.

Damage was caused but a spokesman for Taskforce Helmand said no one had been injured or killed.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "We can confirm that a rocket attack against Camp Bastion took place. No significant damage or casualties have been reported as a result of this incident."