Chapter 21

Shane let out a sniffle, wiping his jacket sleeve underneath his nose. His eyes were puffy and red from crying so much and his lips had been trembling for the last half of two hours.

I couldn't really blame him for that.

His whole torso was bandaged tightly and he was propped up on a pillow. He was laying on a bed in a plain, boring room, and apart from him and me, there was nobody else in here. Charlie and Adrien had left a few minutes ago to go get coffee from one of the vending machines in the hallway.

When we had arrived at the urgent care center, Shane had been seen right away by the on-call doctor. He'd taken one look at Shane's back and immediately announced that he was going to need stitches. Shane for the most part had stopped crying by the time we got there, but the second those words left the doctor's mouth he had burst into tears all over again.

It was heartbreaking to watch as he threw his arms around Charlie and started sobbing, begging him not to let the doctor come near him with a needle.

But luckily the three of us had been allowed to stay in the room while the doctor cleaned Shane's cut and began to work. He ended up needing eleven stitches. The doctor also explained how it was important that we watch Shane closely for the next few days for symptoms of tetanus.

Apparently Shane had never had the vaccination for tetanus, because his biological father refused, and because he'd gotten cut by a piece of old wood, the doctor was concerned that something bad could arise from it.

When I'd heard that bit of information, I had more or less curled up in a ball in a chair and tried to keep from being consumed by overwhelming bouts of guilt.

If it wasn't for me sticking my nose into things that didn't concern me, Shane wouldn't be in this situation. He wouldn't have had to have eleven stitches and be on the watch for tetanus.

As much as this was painful to watch, though, if I hadn't started butting my way into this, something seriously wrong would've happened to Adrien. Who knows? Maybe it still will... Great.

Charlie knocked on the door before stepping in, a styrafoam cup clutched in his grasp. His eyes were fixed on Shane and he bit back a sigh, seeing how Shane was still crying.

"How are you feeling, Shane?" Charlie asked, sitting down on the bed beside him.

"Horrendous," Shane said, sniffling. "I want to go home."

"I know, sport, and we will soon," Charlie said sadly. "We just have to wait for the doctor to come back and say it's okay to leave."

Shane nodded, but he didn't look too happy about it.

"Hey, Charlie," I said, glancing around. "Where's Adrien?"

Charlie glanced over at me, his lips tightening into a thin line. "He stepped outside for some fresh air."

Fresh air, huh?

I got to my feet and excused myself before leaving the room, walking down the hallway towards the front entrance of the place. I was blasted with a waft of icy air when the automatic doors pushed open that instantly made my teeth start chattering.

I couldn't understand why Adrien would have wanted to go outside now, when it was so cold, but this may be the only time I'd get to be alone with him again this entire weekend.

I found Adrien sitting on the bench right outside of the hospital. He didn't notice me as I sat down beside him, and I made no move to say anything.

"You're right." I looked at him in surprise.