CHAPTER THIRTEEN

𝖆𝖗𝖙: by yours truly

𝖆𝖗𝖙: by yours truly

𝖓𝖔𝖙𝖊: Camilo drawing because I am sorry for what will happen in this chapter

𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠

     The fight was the last time she saw her father. Neither of them went out of their rooms when the other was out. It was like a game of hide and seek except both of them were hiding. When the first floor stirred clear of Francisco, Y/N took it as her opportunity to head out. Slinging her purse on, she sneaked her way down.

     Mirabel's reaction yesterday was strange; her curiosity has peaked since then. Would it be rude to straight out ask Lucia about it? She exhaled through her nose, her shoulders slumping. Their friendship had always been uncomplicated, he was the only person who kept her feet to the ground. Camilo and Mirabel both belonged to a magical family who runs this town, her father and mother was driving her to the edge. And Lucia? He just greets her with a grin.

     So when she reached his stall, her smile dropped.

     Lucia wasn't alone— standing proud beside him was a man in his 40s. His hair was neatly gelled, and he was wearing a carmine button-up paired with black slacks. He had his shoulder squared, hands behind his back. In the end, humans had always been predators and he was a prime example of that. He spotted her immediately, sending chills down her spine.

     "The name's Gutiérrez Moreno, don't wear it out." He introduced cooly through his thick accent. Lucia did mention his father's name before and it was the reason why it was so familiar when Camilo uttered it along with the other people in his list. Y/N glanced at her friend but he only avoided her gaze with his lips sucked in.

     Unsure what to do; she stuck out her hand, putting on a polite smile, "Y/N L/N, sir." He only stared, disgust seeping into his face as he peered into her eyes. It felt like he was studying her under a microscope, taking notes of the cracks of her character. Lucia looked helpless beside him as Gutiérrez spat, "Stay away from my son."

     She couldn't talk back. This was a stranger who wouldn't hesitate to rip her to shreds and more or else, it was her friend's father, the one she had heard bits of pieces of. And he wasn't lying, those beady eyes stares straight into her soul.

     "Lucia has been distracted since you came along," The once full stall looked bare from life. "Sales have been dropping and," He paused, looking at her from head to toe. "I can see why." She was motionless, put on a pedestal for him to circle around.

     His lips curled in a contemptuous smile, "Have you seen yourself in the mirror?" It was all broken. She balled her fists, her fingertips turning white. She glanced at Lucia, desperately screaming for help through her eyes. Her heart dropped when he only looked away.

     "No wonder you moved here." Gutiérrez continued, "People back in your country probably grew tired of you." He bent down to her height. "I hate to break it to you, I really do!" He put both his hands on his chest, feigning regret. His voice barely above a whisper, "But no one wants you here either." She knew better than to believe what he said but her mind kept telling her that it was the truth.

     Her eyelids were shot open as her tears felt like pebbles coming out of her eyes. What she find worse was through it all, Lucia kept silent. She waited for him to speak up, to defend her but he never did. Gutiérrez leaned back, satisfied with himself. He was rotten.

     Lucia only broke out of his spell when she stumbled back, her knees felt weak. He tried to catch her but she took off where her feet would take her. He glanced at his father, going against his wits, he followed hot on her trail.

      "Y/N, wait!" He yelled, fastening his pace to catch up to her but she kept on slipping past the cracks of his fingers. She was whizzing her way through the crowd while he bump into unsuspecting people. He only caught her wrist when she began slowing down, and he didn't know what came over him when he turned her around, crashing his lips into hers.

     He waited for fireworks to combust, for an electrifying shock to course through his veins but it never came. Her lips were still against his and she tasted like nothing at all. There were no sparks.

     His head was thrown back, a sting on his cheek. "I'm sorry." He mumbled. Y/N's breath heaved, her palm tingled with heat. She wiped her lips harshly. "Lucia, what do you feel about me?" Her throat closed up and her voice came out hoarse. He had a dazed look on his face, "I don't know." He weakly muttered.

     "I don't want to lose you, Y/N, I'm sorry." His chest wrenched, he was so sure that he would finally feel something— they had chemistry unlike the other girls he kissed before and yet... Why did it feel so empty? All of them were the same, even hers felt the same. 

     He fiddled with their friendship bracelet: green, white, gray, black. It felt like it weighed more than it actually was. Will he ever feel what it means to love and be loved? "Forget it." Y/N hissed, snatching her arm from his grip. "Leave me alone." That was it, he had lost her. 

     Y/N went inside the house, feeling robbed. Francisco tensed at the sight of her; at long last, their presence collided. He waited for the air of animosity to waft its way between them but her broken sobs told otherwise. His instincts came in,  he dropped everything in his hands. "Y/N, what happened?" Francisco rushed towards her, holding her daintily in his arms. She pressed her face on his shirt, she felt so small. It was her first kiss and it meant nothing at all.

     Meanwhile at the heart of Encanto; Camilo looked up at the sky, swinging his legs back on forth from his seat. It was getting late and Y/N was nowhere in sight. He waited for a couple more hours, thinking that something must have come up. The orange sky turned into dusk, the street performers began to set up their instruments. Waves of people crowded the area and there was still no sign of her.

     She had forgotten. He sighed, leaving the area with a heavy heart.