Goodnight

The next day was uneventful. Yae Miko told me that we'd carry out our plan tomorrow, so I had the day to myself.

Once it turned midnight, I made my way into the forest.

Scaramouche was sitting in the same spot as the night before. "Nice to see that you've cooled off since the last time I saw you." He smiled.

"Aha. Yeah, okay. Anyway, tonight you gotta talk about yourself." I said, sitting down next to him.He hummed. "I'm sure whatever I might say will be more interesting than... 'my hair is natural." He said.

"...Go on, then."

"Oh... I don't know about that. I don't think I should tell you." He teased.

"Okay, jackass. Keep your secrets." I stood up and brushed off my pants. "If you have nothing to say, then I'm going to leave. I have things to do tomorrow." I started to walk away but was stopped by his hand grabbing my wrist.

"Don't go. I mean— wait. I'll tell you more about me. Sit back down." He said softly.

I stared at him, thinking. "Please." He whispered.

OHHHHHH OKAY....................

I cleared my throat and sat back down. Scaramouche let go of my wrist and sighed.

"Okay... hm..." He thought. "I... am not... a human. I was the first 'puppet' that Raiden Ei had made — I'm sure you've heard of her by now. She named me Kunikuzushi. I was more of a test subject — I wasn't meant to resemble her. Since I was just a test, she was going to use me as a vessel for her gnosis, but..." He went quiet for a moment. "But, I refused... to be a vessel for such a thing. I had bigger things in mind. She was going to destroy me but instead decided to let me take control of my own life.

"Still not sure if that was a good decision on her part..." His voice trailed off.

"Wait... so, like... you're kind of like the Raiden Shogun in a way?"

"Don't compare me to that." He said sternly. "I'm... not all that like her. I'm... my own person..."

I didn't say anything to that.

.....

The next morning, I visited Yoimiya to obtain some fireworks.

I had to use them as a distraction. I'd set them off next to the Shogun's statue so the guards would move away. It would give Sayu a chance to break into the building and get the 'evidence' we needed.

After setting off the fireworks, I quickly rushed back to Komore Teahouse so I wouldn't get caught.

Me, Thoma, Yae, and Ayaka waited for two hours. "Should I go look for her?" I asked."No need." Sayu said, quickly shutting the front door behind her. "Here you go, Yae Miko." She handed the files to Yae.

"Alright," Yae said. "Kujuo Sara won't be meeting us at the shrine until after tomorrow. Y/N, feel free to relax until then."

...

That night, I walked into the forest, expecting to see Scaramouche at the spot we always meet.

But he wasn't there.

"Scaramouche?" I called out. "Scaramouche! Are you hiding?" I went silent for a moment to see if I could hear him.

All I could hear was the wind blowing in the leaves.

I sat in his spot, leaning against the tree, and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

I waited for half an hour before deciding to go home. When I got to the entry of the forest, though, I was stopped by someone grabbing my wrist.

"Y/N, wait." It was Scaramouche. He was out of breath, hunched over. "Don't... go yet... Ha..."

"...Where were you? I was waiting for half an hour."

"I'm s... I'm here now. I had to do something."

We walked back to the area we usually sit.

"So... what kept you so busy, mate?" I asked as we sat down.

"I was being questioned by the Tsaritsa. I'd gone a while without reporting to her, so she got worried."

"Oh... that's nice of her."

"Not worried about me." His head turned to me. "Worried I'd betrayed her. Which I have. But she doesn't know that... not yet."

I hummed. Then he asked, "What did you do today, Traveler?"

"Caused problems on purpose."

"Ah, I'm such a good influence." He laughed.

...

(3rd person POV)

Scaramouche went rambling on about the Fatui. Y/N eventually got tired. They didn't want to be disrespectful and leave in the middle of his stories, so they ended up quietly drifting off to sleep."And Dottore, he... I don't think you'd like him all that much, Y/N." He was quiet for a moment. "Y/N?"

He sighed. "Is the Fatui that boring? ...No matter." Scaramouche didn't know what to do. They had ended up leaning on his shoulder at some point, but he didn't realize it was because they'd fallen asleep.

He opened a portal and stuck his hand through, rummaging around. He pulled out a blanket and set it on him and Y/N. He exhaled deeply, setting his head on top of Y/N's. "Goodnight... Y/N."

..........

846 words12/31/21