Chapter 8: Retaliating

The police still stared. Hank stared back. His high posture and intimidating aura not flinching for one second, striking silent aggression and respect for himself. Not one soul spoke for a few seconds.

Hank began to grow restless. Not once had something like this ever happened in Nevada. He always had a shoot first, never ask later behaviour, and he was well known by almost everyone due to his notoriety that nobody really bothered to admire him like this. He somehow felt intimidated by the sheer size of the number of animals staring at him. How was ever going to blend in with this place if everywhere he went, he was always the main centre of attention?

After the initial shock, some of them started murmuring to each other. And others trying to make it less noticeable that they were blatantly still staring at him. This didn't comfort Hank in the slightest.

"Alright" the fox eventually announced, "let's get our little sudden exhibit checked in"

They made their way to the help desk that was in a circular shape as the commotion about Hank slowly but surely died down and all the other officers got back to getting to where they needed or continuing the task they were already doing, although the feeling of puzzlement of the new arrival still lingered.

"Hey again, Wilde!" the  animal working at the desk cheerfully said to Hank's red furry escort. The mercenary recognised it as a cheetah, albeit its body shape being a bit larger than he'd have expected... he could also see that the cheetah had a good stash of donuts and other sweet delicacies hidden away beneath the desk, making his "eyes" twinkle for a second of having witnessed glorious food like that again due to it becoming so scarce in Nevada. Why didn't he think of ordering that when he was in the restaurant?

His thoughts quickly came to an end yet again as the polar bear led the black wolf in another direction and said that he'd meet up with Wilde as soon as he'd take care of him, thus leaving the fox as the only one overseeing the mercenary.

And so, they began to walk towards a set of double doors and went inside, showing a rather long hallway. As they kept walking to what Hank presumed would be the jail block, he began to question himself.

What was he doing? Letting himself be arrested by a weak little animal that was around the same size of him? Was his bloodthirsty side really that tame? Or maybe had the shock he felt of the taser frazzled him up a bit? Was it maybe because of this world's aura? Nevada was a place where fighting was your way of getting what you want, while in here, you could get arrested just for hitting someone, as he did. Was this peaceful-looking land finally corrupting his killer desires?

Hank's anger grew. What was happening to him? Stuck in this pleasantly landscaped world and getting caught by law enforcement on the first day? Why was he here? What did the Higher Powers want for him?

More and more questions attacked Hank's consciousnesses as his confusion and anger grew. He even forgot where he was for a few seconds. Suddenly his feet stopped walking. With this, so did the fox's.

"What's the holdup? This hallway isn't your destination, buddy" the fox remarked.

Hank's hands tightened and griped on the handcuffs in anger. What had he been doing this entire time? Trying to keep a good look for the city by holding back his violence? Not any more. He told himself of who he was.

Hank J Wimbleton

And he wasn't going to put up with this anymore.

*CLINK* 

Hank's sheer anger strength caused his grip on his handcuff to break them. The broken restraints fell down and clinked against the floor. He stared back to the fox's, whose face changed in expression in one second after. Before it could do anything else, Hank picked up the MP5 that he had this entire time and aimed it at him, the weapon's barrel only a few centimetres away from the fox's snout. Due to the show of force Hank had shown when the officers had first attempted to arrest him, the idiots had most likely forgotten about searching him for any weapons, and now it was too late for them.

"I'll be taking things from here officer" Hank humorously remarked. "One more move from you and you're dead"

"You're making things worse for yourself, you know that?" The fox responded.

"Shut up!" The mercenary barked.

The form simply frowned with his eye so wide open and brought his hands close to their face to show that it wasn't reaching for its weapon anytime soon.

Hank's wanted to kill that snarky annoying fox right here, but decided ultimately against it. He just wanted to get out of this police station station and find someone who can help him. He didn't want to kill or cause a genocide until it was necessary.

Still keeping his aim on the fox, he began walking towards the nearest doors in the hallways and attempted more to open them. Unfortunately, they were locked and only rattled in his grip on the doorknob. He let go and went to another door. It was locked too.

"You know many doors are kept locked for things like this right?" The fox told Hank.

If he wasn't so busy with his current task, he might have at least already hit the foxes on the nose 3 time after he heard it speak again. But there was no time for that, he needed to find a way out.

Then he felt a small cool rush of air hit him from above. He looked up and saw a vent which was most likely an entrance to a ventilation duct on the  ceiling. Of course! He could climb up there's and surely it would lead a to way out. 

Hank put the gun back in its place, earning a confused look from the officer, and then unsheathed his sword. The fox's eyes widened again.

(I'm not very good at drawing animal characteristics)

Hank grabbed the fox by its neck and brought it only inches away from his face.

His voice became serious. "I'll let you go for now. But if you ever try to do something like this again, things won't go so well for you. There's more to me than meets the eye" Hank threatened.

The Fox didn't respond. It was probably still in a slight shocked state. He threw them to the floor and managed to used his word to roughly cut a hole in the vent.   Then he jumped as high as he could and both his hand grabbed on to the opening. Using all his strength, he pulled against it, trying to pull it out so that there would be an opening big enough for him to enter though.

A few more seconds and...

*CRASH*

Hank's hands pulled it out of the ceiling and he fell right down back onto the floor, along with  some small debris falling on his head. Yikes. That was loud. Surely someone would come check on that noise soon. Jumping up again and entering the opening to the ventilation duct before putting his sword back in its place on him.

He looked back at the fox from up there and saw it only getting up now from the impact. He then quickly crawled away from that place.

The space on the inside of these ducts were quite small, but thankfully Hank's body shape allowed him to just barely fit in them.

He crawled along the aluminium maze, seeing many rooms up from the small straight hole so on the vents of each one. He saw offices, break rooms, and even a boiler room, but no exit.

After a short while, he came up onto another vent in the duct and peered out of it.

He saw what seemed to be a small office, with what he though was a buffalo in a high ranking officer uniform seated behind a desk and looking at the TV at the side of the room. This place kept getting more unfamiliar and unfamiliar to Hank.

He was about to keep crawling forward until he saw what was on the TV in the room.

"Mysterious animal with odd clothing spotted in Savanna Central" said a feminine voice on the TV.