Emma

Suggested by: Anonymous

"Hey, babe. Where are you at the moment?" I ask my boyfriend, Peter, down the phone. I am currently all alone at home and am depressingly bored. Peter can always cheer me up. He's very dependable like that. 

"Well, I've just closed up the office and am heading home. Why do you ask?" Hearing his voice over the other end of the line instantly cheers me up. I am far too in love with that boy. 

"Well, you aren't home yet, and I'm bored. I was wondering, do you want to maybe pick up some Chinese food and some snacks and we could have a little movie marathon tonight?" I ask, so hopeful that he will say yes. Knowing him though, he would probably get stuff like vanilla ice cream and fruit snacks since they're "healthier" for "you and your teeth". I mean, you can't go wrong with ice cream, but vanilla of all flavours? Like yeah, it's nice, but it's not something I'd go mad for. I don't want to eat snacks to keep my teeth healthy, I want to eat snacks for the joy of eating snacks. 

Anyway, enough with my rant about snacks, back to us. 

"Sure, sounds like a plan. Anything, in particular, you want me to pick up?" Well, that's new. He usually doesn't ask, he usually just goes for the healthiest and the cheapest. He's so classy.

"Not specifically. But if you could get actual snacks instead of a side salad, that'd be great. Before you say it, I know it's healthier, but it's definitely not tastier. As for Chinese food, you know my order." I hear him give a slight chuckle on the other line. 

"Ok, so no rabbit food. Got it. I'll be home in about 45 minutes, provided the queue at the Chinese place is short. Love you." God, I got a good one. We say our goodbyes and hang up the phone. Now, all we do is wait. 

~~~Time skip brought to you by an impatient Emma~~~

"Hey babe, I'm home. Could you help me with the bags? I got quite a lot." I hear Peter shout from the doorway after I hear the sound of keys hitting the counter. I spring up from the sofa to greet and help Peter and what I see is a tangle of takeaway bags, shopping bags and his over-the-shoulder bag from work. I see him still in his scrubs, obviously because he hadn't been home to change before I sent him on his errand, and a chill goes straight down my spine, though I think I do well to cover it. 

"Jesus babe, do you think you got enough?" I tease, taking three of his bags from him and letting him get the other three. 

"I mean, you said get snacks, so I did just that. And as per orders, I didn't go too crazy on the healthy stuff." I walk up to him after heaving the bags onto the counter and embrace him in a hug and a kiss. He runs upstairs to get changed into something comfier than scrubs while I unpack all the bags. When he comes running down the stairs in a pair of jogging bottoms and a hoodie, I visibly relax."Did you have a good day today?" 

"Same old, same old. Teaching eleven-year-olds is far more monotonous than it seems. How about you? Anything fun happen in your day?" Of course, I'm saying this to be polite, not because I want to hear about the numerous people who he has tortured just by showing up to work and doing his job. He works as a paediatric and general dentist at his practice about ten minutes away. In the two years that we have been together, I have never once stepped foot in there. It has been even longer since I went to a dentist in general, so you can only imagine how less-than-stellar I am about his profession. 

"Not really. Had a couple of kids who really didn't want to see me, but that's par for the course. One kid bit me which wasn't fun. But other than that, it's just been a regular day." 

"That sounds painful, are you ok?" I ask worriedly, pulling his hand for me to look at and check for bite marks from this child.

"Oh, I'm fine now. She was only young, about three or four, so it wasn't that strong a bite. But anyway, enough talk about work. Let's get our food and go and watch our movies. What were you thinking?" He asks while plating up our food and putting the snacks into bowls. I noticed he got salted peanuts. Score!