Prologue

"Come on, Viktor." A young girl with long, brown hair said, as she ran towards the river, filled with toxins causing a purple and blue look to appear in the green water. She looked back to see her older twin brother hobbling along, using his cane to help him walk.
"I'm coming, Rose. But you need to slow down for me, remember?" He said, as he carries a small motorised ship, that almost looks handmade from a scientist. The little girl stops, looking at her brother.
"Sorry, Vik. I forget sometimes." She chuckled softly, being only 5 years old, she had the tendency to forget about the boy's limp. He chuckled as well at her forgetfulness, as they head down to the river together. They were chatting about the engineering of the ship, discussing (more arguing) over which engine will work better, a steam engine or motorised. They soon sat on the riverbank, as the young boy started up the mechanism, before removing the key and placing it in the water. They watched the ship as it powered itself away, following the current downstream. They soon got up to follow it down the river, as it got faster and faster. The girl went ahead to watch where it was going, when the boy fell over, his mind trying to make his legs goes faster than he can. The girl looked back and gasped when she saw her brother on the floor. She quickly ran back to him, helping him back onto his feet. The boat eventually went down the river, and into a cave, as the young twins followed it. The girl helped her brother down the slippery and steep slope, soon reaching the bottom of the hill. They both looked around in amazement. The cave, where the path led to, was covered in these glowing purple flowers, surrounding the twins and illuminating the structure of the cave. Their eyes soon landed on the strange man sitting in the middle of the cave, the little boat in their hands. Then a creature appeared out of nowhere, circling around the man before resting on the rocks behind him. The twins gasped at the sight of the creature, it hearing them and growled in their direction. The strange man had no care, but continuing to look at the invention in his hands.

"Don't be afraid." The man said, not looking at them. Holding up the boat, he asked, "you built this?" The twins nodded in unison. The man still looking at the boat, admiring it's technicality.
"Why aren't you playing with the others?" He asked the children, fiddling with the water wheels that made the boat move. The twins held hands as they walked out from their hiding spot, the monster chittering at their movement.
"Hm. Loneliness is often the byproduct of a gifted mind." He said, looking towards the children, approaching him.
"What is it?" The boy asked, curious to the monster that stood before them all.
"Hmm?" He questioned, seemingly off in his own world. Soon, he realised, "Oh. This is Rio." He gestured to the creature, its body covered in pink and purple scales, sketched upon a pale pink skin. "She's a rare mutation that I cultivated." He continued, standing up. He pulls something out of his pocket. It was one of the purple flowers that surrounded the cave.
"Here." He gestured to the twins, as if telling them to take the flower from him. "Go on."
They show hesitation before the girl helped the boy cross the stepping stones and walk towards the man. The boy took the flower from the man's hand. Shakily, he held it out to the creature. It grumbled as it sniffed the flower before its tongue slipped out and around the boy's hand, giggling as the creature ate its flower. As it lay back down, it growled deeply as it gave its scales a little shake.
"She's dying," the man stated as he stroked her head, it whimper under his touch. "I'm attempting to prevent that. The mutation must survive." The twins saddened at the idea of the creature dying, especially the girl, who had taken a liking to the strange creature that she had just met.
"Can we help?" The twins said in unison, looking between the man and the creature, the girl tilting her head slightly as she looked at it.
"You two want to assist me? He question, as if he was shocked by the request. The boy shrugged as he looked at the man. "Very well." He said as he walked over to them, giving the boy the boat and placing one hand on their shoulders. "We can be lonely together." Was all he said before he walked off to do other things. The boy and girl simply looked at each other.
"Are you sure we can trust him?" The girl question her brother, worried for their safety.
"No. But for Rio," the boy looked at the creature, before looking to his sister again. "I'll do anything." The two children embraced each other, the girl looking up through the hole in the cave roof, seeing the stars and the city of Piltover just up ahead. She squeezed her brother tighter before letting go.
"Ok. But only for Rio." The boy nodded as he yawned.
"Time to get some sleep. Let's talk to the man about where we will be staying. Although, I don't mind our little cottage." The girl chuckled at her brother, as he walked after the man. She looked at the creature, before getting closer and placing a hand on its head. It slightly whimpered under her touch.
"We'll save you. I promise."