Chapter 9. Let it Commence...

Five years have past since the explosion at the cannery. Powder, now called Jinx, came to live with all of us at The Last Drop. Silco bought the place after Vander died, but he made the money back in the first month of owning that place. Pub during the day, and a club scene at night, bringing in more people, more booze, more money. I haven't seen him since that day we kissed, every mission that I've been on was communicated through Sevika or Jameson.
The first year, I helped with the distribution of shimmer throughout the Lanes, orders received from Sevika.
The second year, I helped Singed perfect the shimmer equation to make it less violent and not so deadly.
The third year, the year that the Hexgates became available, I helped with distributing the new shimmer to other counties around the world, orders from Jameson.
At the beginning of the fourth year, Singed and I found a small island that was filled with the shimmer flowers, as we ran out in the Lanes, so we went to harvest them, bringing them back on the ships. Orders from Sevika.
Halfway through, a new equation for the shimmer was made and I helped send that out in the airships to other countries, and became the club's new local singer. Orders form Sevika.
In all those years, not once did I see Silco, and if I did, it was fleeting. He be either rushing out because of a problem, or he be drunk walking through the hallways back to his office. I used to worry about him, but now I don't. Instead, I spent my spare time hanging out with Jinx. We perfected her bombs and I taught her how to fight, Vander style. She'd loved it. We became sisters almost, as we would braid each other's hair, do our makeup. We even went to go get our first tattoos together, she got her entire right torso down in these blue clouds and she didn't even flinch. It was amazing. And I got a pink and blue rose done on my left upper arm, with thorns on tis stem, dripping blood. A symbol of my old name and my new name.
Just like how Jinx became Powder's new name after the incident, I decided to let the voices in my head decide my new name, and I soon became known as Mania. People were scared of Jinx, and they were also scared of me. But mention of our two names together, they'd quiver in fear. We were the ultimate duo and nothing could change that.
Right now, Jinx and I are situated in the bottom part of the airship, guarding the shimmer down below, as we set up a few traps here and there. A gang, called the Firelights, have been messing with our distribution of shimmer, causing problems for me as I'm in charge of that sector. I just finished writing "BOOM" on the bottom of a swing we put up a while back in neon purple paint, curtesy of Jinx and her art skills, as she finished setting up the tripwire connected to the trapdoor.
"How come Silco never talks to you anymore?" Jinx asked me as we decide to make and decorate some more of her bombs and fix up my gun that got destroyed in the last fight against the firelights. I simply shrugged.
"I'm not sure myself, Jinx. He doesn't want to see me or talk to me, that's up to him. But I'm not gonna let my past get in the way." I said, as I finished drawing a rosebud in my gun. I smiled slightly as the memory came into my head.

"I love you, Rosebud, with all my heart."

The kiss crept into my mind as well, but I shook my head, pushing that thought out of it. Jinx watched me with a saddened look on her face. She knows the pain of losing someone you love, and feeling, or knowing, that it was your fault. We kept talking a little bit more, especially about our new ideas for weapons when we heard commotion from above us.
"Shit, it's the Firelights!" Someone shouted as we heard thumps and grunts come. Jinx and I looked at each other, smiling like lunatics before getting into positions. She went to the other side, as I pushed the swing with much force, making it swing greatly. I then hid behind some cargo, as the door soon busted open and two of the firelights drop down through the hole. I watched them as they looked around. The green haired one, Alien, pulled out his weapon as his foot hit the tripwire. I almost chuckled as the trapdoor closed, revealing the bioluminescent monkey painted on the bottom, Jinx's doing.
"Oh, no, no, no, no, no!" The one in the hoodie, Hoodie, exclaimed as he banged in the door. "Open up." But, because we're geniuses, we also rigged the door to lock once it was closed with the tripwire. They both kept looking around as I moved out to push the swing again, making it go, causing it to squeak in the process.
"Oh no." Alien said, "they're here." Alien pulled out a flare, making it light up, though it gave out very little light. Hoodie pulled out their weapons as well, as they made their way towards the swing. I watched them carefully, waiting til they hit the marker, only I can see, before quickly dashing from one side to another. Alien moved the flare towards where I am, as the swing kept creaking. Getting impatient, he throws the flare in my general direction, only to see the swing swinging by itself.
It seemed to happen in slow motion, the swing pausing momentarily, causing the gang members to sight the word written under neither. Jinx then swung past them on a chain, ever so quickly attaching the bombs to their clothes, before giving me the hook as I swung back, pulling the pins outs as the explosion went off, causing the whole airship to move around. Jinx and I laughed as we hi-five each other, before gathering our things and heading up the ladder.
Jinx pushed open the door, the smoke that once filled the bottom of the boat spill out onto the deck. Jinx climbed out first as I soon followed. We mimicked each other's action, her floor-length braids trailing behind her as my blue and pink hair bounced ever so slightly with each step that I took. We looked around, assessing the situation, all while acting as innocent as we could. We puffed a bit of hair out of our faces, crossing our arms.
"Hi." We said as Jinx pulled out two more bombs, pulling the pins out with her teeth, and throwing them at two people, making them go overboard and explode. Meanwhile, I pulled out my gun, as I kept to Jinx's back, shooting down the guys coming from behind. I looked back to see Jinx had pulled her own gun out, shooting at the leader before being attacked by another firelight. I put my focus back on the task at hand, as I killed a few more firelights as they came up behind me, a stone-cold expression laid on my face. Once I finished, I looked back to see some of the shimmer spilt in the floor, as Jinx grabbed one of the gang member's hand before she could through the lit flare on the ground.
As much as we tried to change it, the shimmer was always and will be flammable, and these guys know it. I watched as Jinx punched them in the head, their mask and hoodie falling off, revealing a pink hair girl. I saw Jinx start to panic, as I watched her eyes fog over as she melted into her panic attack. The pinkette dropped the flare as I ran to catch it, but I was too late. The flare hit the floor, creating a purple flame over the shimmer liquid as it spread quickly. Jinx still had a strong hold on the girl as she tried to rip her hand away. She successfully did, but her running away didn't get her far as Jinx shot her in the back. She was still panicking so I ran up to her, and held her face. The gang leader ran to the girl, as all sound around me turned to silence, and the world started going hazy. Shit. I forgot my shimmer dose today.
I watched as the leader tried to attack us only for another member grabbing them and flying off. Jinx reacted quickly, pushing me behind her and shooting her minigun, Pow-Pow, at them, only missing them by centimetres. She soon stopped, as I wrapped my arms around her torso, holding her against me, whispering sweet nothings to her, so she could calm down.
She had calmed down enough that she could pull away from me, standing on her own two feet. I've seen worst attacks from her than that, but, as I care for her as a sister, I still worry the same. I saw in the corner of my eye, Sevika breaking out of the firelights' crystals, before storming over to us. A tight grip was placed on Jinx's shoulder as Sevika swung her around to look her in the eye.
"You were suppose to guard the cargo." She growled at Jinx's face, turning to me soon after. "You too." My gaze hardened, and so did Jinx's. Hers was more of an act as a soft chuckle escaped her lips. Whereas, mine was serious. I do what I am told, and that is what I did.
"No one insults me like that, Sevika. Or do I need to remind you?" A flash of fear appeared in her eyes quickly, before disappearing. Just because my orders come through her, doesn't mean she's superior. And I taught her that lesson last time with her ass beaten. The horns started blaring, as the crew left the airship. Sevika soon after, followed by Jinx. I looked around and the damage caused by the firelights.
"Well, this is gonna be a lecture and a half." I huffed, as I pulled my hood over my hair, before leaving the airship as well.
The trip down the Undercity was short and uneventful, as I soon crossed the bridge, making it into the dark world I call home. I took my hood off, as I strolled through the streets, stealing little things on occasion. I reached my final destination, The Last Drop, my residence for the last five years as I headed inside. Club music blaring as people were dancing and swaying to the music. I recognised the song as one of the few I sing on stage. I smiled as I walked through the crowd, greeted left, right and centre by everyone there. I smiled at them as I soon made my way to the back, climbing up the stairs towards where the rooms are. Heading in the direction of mine, I was stopped by a voice calling my name.
"Rose." Sevika said as she approached me. "Silco wants to see you." She blankly stated before walking down to the bar, probably to drink and gamble. I sighed as my plans changed and I walked towards Silco's office.
"Take some time." I heard a familiar voice sound through the door, though it sounded more exhausted than the last time I heard it.
"I-I don't need time." The blue-hair girl said, as I stood there.
"Take it anyhow." He said back to her, annoyed with her response. Soon enough the door opened again, and an upset Jinx walked out. She locked eyes with me, as I gave her a tight squeeze before she walked off to her room.
"It's not polite to eavesdrop on a conversation, Rose." The voice sounded from inside the room. I walked inside, seeing the man in his chair, looking exhausted and frustrated. I huffed as I closed the door behind me, sitting down in the chair in front of his desk, pulling my knees to my chest.
"And? It's kinda hard when the walls and doors are paper thin." I said, as I rest my head on my knees. I watched his eyes, as the expression in them changed, but his face didn't.
"What happened down there?" He asked, softly. He knows me better than anyone else.
"Simple. There was a pink haired girl, Jinx froze with a panic attack before killing said firelight and trying to kill the leader. She didn't go rogue. She didn't open fire or use friendly fire. In pure panic, she did what she knows best." I said calmly, knowing what Sevika would have said to Silco. He nods his head before looking at his paperwork.
"This will set us back months." He sighed. I sighed as well, knowing that it's my area to deal with.
"I know, Sil. I already have a plan to double the amount made at once." I said quietly, still watching Silco's face. He looked up at me so quickly that his head could've flown off his shoulders.
"I actually didn't want to talk business..." His voice faded out at the end, as he put down his pen and walking around to the front of his desk, leaning against it. "I wanted to talk about us." He bluntly said, and I knew exactly what to say back.
"You don't love me?"