Chapter 5. Where Are You Now?

I watched from atop the cannery roof as the enforcers entered and left the undercity. Screams and shouting could be heard from around the place, as the enforcers try to track down the four children charged with destruction on Piltover buildings. I sighed as I slipped down the roof and to the fire escape that I've been using to get up onto the roof. I've been Vik every day. I eventually told him about my memory situation, so he found our old journals and I've been reading those everyday. It's been helpful to say the least, but some memories are still missing.
I quietly slipped back into Silco's room. I'm still in here, as my room wasn't ready yet. Apparently, it was a storage area for weapons, so it's taking some time to clean it out. I looked at Silco, who was passed out on the bed. I giggle quietly as I could see the line of drool from his mouth. I grabbed my tech mask as I snuck out of the room, heading upstairs. I pulled my mask over my nose and mouth, as I pulled the hood up over my head. I stretched my arms up as I walked through the crowd of men towards the front door. It's been a while since the incident with Jameson and Jack fighting, ever since, the men in here respect me more than they respect Silco. Sevika said I'm like a princess around and I laughed at that idea. I'm just a Rose, covered with hidden thorns.
I walked out of the cannery, skulking in the shadows of the alleyways and the railings of the rooftops. I kept my mask high, and my hood over my eyes, as I made my way downtown, a place crawling with enforcers currently. I sat on the rooftop, watching the enforcer, Marcus, interrogate the citizens down here for answers. It's obviously not working, as I watched one of the undercity's members spit on Marcus' shoe. His response, throw the guy through the coloured glass window. But I saw something that I never thought I would see again. I saw Powder next to the window. I jumped down to the ground, remaining in the shadows as I watched the enforcers enter an arcade-looking room, containing Powder, her sister Vi, and their friends Mylo and Claggor. I sat there as I watched the enforcers chase the kids around. I followed them through the streets til they lost the kids. I walked over to the fallen enforcers as Marcus moved to get up, but stopped when he spotted me.
"They got away?" I asked, standing over Marcus. He just nodded. Because of my connection with Silco, I became feared amongst the enforcers. "You let them get away?!" I said loudly, as Marcus quickly stood up.
"I'm sorry, Miss. I underestimated them. It won't happen again."
"It better not, or I'll have your head on a platter." I walked off, making my way back to the cannery, the same way I left. I walked through the front door, the men chatting away, before they noticed me and went back to their jobs. I sighed in annoyance as I walked back to the bedroom. I slowly opened the door, only to see Silco starting to wake up. I smiled as I took off my mask and hoodie.
"Morning." I said, as I folded up the hoodie and placed it on the drawers. I heard him groan behind me as he stretched out his arms.
"Morning." He looked at my hands, seeing my mask. "Have a nice run around today?" I simply nodded, putting the mask on top of the hoodie.
"Saw Marcus. He was chasing those brats around the undercity, before he lost them. His excuse? He "underestimated" them." I said, as I ran my fingers through my hair. I honestly hated seeing those kids get chased around because of their stupidity, but I don't blame them either. I know what it's like to just barely get by. But Piltover? What were they thinking? Some during my daydream thoughts, I ended up in front of the mirror as I watched my fingers play with each other, peeling away at blisters and the skin around my nails. I stopped myself by putting my hands in my front pockets, sighing softly. I looked up again to see Silco standing behind me, watching me in the mirror.
"I know that look. Something's bothering you." I sighed. I sometimes hated how well he knew me, but I didn't know him the same. But my memories keep flashing in my mind everyday, always new ones so I'm slowly learning more about Silco and the city I grew up in, especially my hidden feelings about Silco that I've had, the ones that somehow still found him attractive. But I've always been one for the personalities and kind gestures, than looks.
"It's just..." I paused for a moment, as I tried to find the right words to say. "I've known those kids for a couple of years now. Heck, I used to live with them. Sure, the oldest one with pink hair can be a bit extreme, but they're good kids." I watched Silco's unchanging face as I kept talking. "But breaking the deal that Vander had with Grayson, it's no wonder Piltover is up in arms finding these kids." I finished, turning around to face the stoic man behind me. He looked into my golden eyes, as I looked into his grey and orange ones. He sighed as he broke eye contact, walking towards his closet.
"I understand, Rose. If it was you and Vander in that position, years ago, I would be unsure of what to do myself." He said, as he closed the door, as he probably got dressed from his night wear, to his daily wear.
"But that's different. I guess it's because I know Vander would do anything for those kids. Who knows, he might go to Stillwater just to protect them."
"He could be, but those kids will still be a problem down here. Especially the oldest one." He replied back, walking out in his usual shirt, vest and pants combo, matching the decor of the room.
"That's true. I could always aid the enforcers in getting those kids, but I would be interfering." I said, in a matter-of-fact voice, knowing Silco hated me doing any work at all. He turned to look at me, his eyes showing anger at my words. I smirked triumphantly as I turned back to the mirror, straightening out my clothes. I need new clothing, I'm getting bored with these ones.
"You know how I feel about you doing jobs. I hate the fact that you go outside this cannery to start with." He sighed as I watched him do the buttons up on his vest. He stop halfway, his eyes being diverted to mine. I look away as quickly as he looked at me, now playing with the loose threads attached to my shirt. I didn't look up again when he sighed, footsteps were heard and the door was closed. I turned around to see that I was alone, frowning slightly.
Am I that oblivious to anything these days? I cracked my knuckles as I turned around and walked into the wardrobe. I had obtained some clothing from Piltover, thanks to Vik and his new assistant, Sky. I strip off my clothes, grabbing some of the Piltoverian clothes, tying my long brown hair back into a neat bun, leaving a few loose strands around my face. I walk back to the mirror, straightening my long dress cloak and making sure my brown underbust corset sat right. I smiled softly at my reflection as I left the room, heading up the stairs to the ground floor. I ran my hands over my skirt as I walked out the building.
Walking along the pier that was next to the cannery, I looked back to see Silco watching me from his office window, before turning away, continuing my trip to Piltover. It was lunchtime anyway, so I had to go meet with my brother. He always takes me clothes shopping. I walked across the bridge, getting the guards that I know on the bridge. But I only make it halfway when I'm stopped by someone. I looked at the arm to see the armour of an enforcer. Flashes of that night on the bridge flood my brain as the red smog and fire flashed around the arm.
"Who are you, and what's your business?" He asked coldly. He must be one of the new recruits Marcus was talking to Silco about. He obviously doesn't know me.
"I'm Rose, and I'm here to see my brother, Viktor, assistant to Professor Heimerdinger." I said calmly. I hated having to use my brother's name and title to get me places, but sometimes, it's worth more than the trouble if I didn't.
"I don't believe you. Assistant Viktor doesn't have a sister. Now, go back to where you belong, you undercity rat." Oops. Fuse blown. I snapped my head to the enforcer, his mask not on as I could see his whole face. A face that soon contorted to fear, as I saw my eyes glow pink in his eyes.
"I'm called Rose for a reason. Now, get your hands off my before I have a word with your supervisor, Sheriff Grayson. She and I are best friends." I said in a calm and cool tone, trying to retain the anger raising in me.
"No."
"Let her go this once, rookie." I heard a male voice ring through the silence on the bridge. I felt my eyes stop glowing as I noticed the crowd of people gathered around us, watching how the scene would've played out. I look towards the voice to see Sheriff Grayson and Vik walking towards. Vik looked worried as he looked at me, but I sent him a reassuring smile. He hated seeing his little twin sister get in trouble, especially when she did nothing wrong. The guard let go of me, as I quickly walked over to Vik, acting if I was scared, a victim.
"He just grabbed me out of nowhere," I said, through fake sobs. Grayson loved me like a daughter, treating me like a princess whenever I came over. "He called me an undercity rat and that I should go back to where I belong." This time, the cries were real. I hated the insults I recieved because of my place of origin, especially undercity rat. Viktor hugged me close, as I held on to him tighter, crying into his shoulder. I knew that he knew I was actually crying, because for the first time in a long time, he gently rubbed my back. He knew what I felt, being called insults because we're from Zaun.
"Now that's just rude. Sure, we don't particularly like the people of the undercity, but she is the capital sweetheart. Because of her brother, she's garnered many connections up here and made friends with them all." Grayson said from behind us, her motherly tone showing through. "Hand over your badge at headquarters. You're done." I heard the clanking of armour and a round of applause, as I lifted my head from Vik's shoulder, seeing it soaking wet from my tears, and turning around to see Grayson walking towards us.
"Thank you, Sheriff Grayson." I said softly, wiping the tears from my face.
"Anytime, Rose. But I'll make sure that any new recruits coming through know your name. I don't particularly want any more broken soldiers." She said with a smile as she walked away, probably to deal with the recruits. I felt Vik place a hand on my shouder, causing me to look up at him.
"Are you ok?" He asked, gently, guiding me towards the Piltover side of the bridge. I nodded as I leaned into him, casually walking with him and into Piltover.
"Ok. Now I'm here. I need to get some new clothes. Not because of retail therapy, but because, beside these clothes that I'm wearing, I've only got one set for Zaun. So i need to get some more." I said, looking up at Vik. I watched as his constant resting face turned into a smile.
"Of course. Anything for you, Rose." He said, imitating Grayson. I nudged his ribs gently as we laughed it off, heading towards the shopping district. I know I can always ask Vik to go clothes shopping with me, as he doesn't mind it. I think so he can see what I'll wear down in the undercity. He still wants me to move up here, to Piltover. But I have too much connections lying in the alleyways of the undercity to escape it now.
We went around to just about every single shop that sold clothes suitable for the undercity, mostly those containing tech wear. I managed to get three more pairs of pants, two black and two maroon, seven different shirts, with colours ranging from rose reds, pinks and blacks. I always got myself a long black trench coat with some red detailing on it, as well as a hip length black coat with pink detail. I always got two more combat boots, as well as red and pink laces to have as spare. Never know with the undercity.
Soon enough, Vik had to call Sky to help with carrying the shopping. She complained the whole way to our favourite cafe, especially with how much one girl needs at once, and we had to keep reminding her that I'm from the undercity, so one; the money is scarce as it is, making it hard to make singular purchases for weeks on end, and two; I don't like shopping 28 times a month, I rather get it all done in one day as to enjoy the rest of the month.
The three of us sat down at a table outside. Sky was asking question about life in the undercity, but I gave her very vague answers. Sure, he's my brother's best friend, and co-founder in Hextech, but I don't trust her yet. I've only met her two times since the incident, so that doesn't help. We all enjoyed lunch as Vik and Skye told me about the newest student exploding a building, and Viktor having him arrested, before it was time for me to return home. I grabbed all of my bags, to much protest of my brother.
"I'll be fine, Vik. I've carried heavier things than this before." I smiled as I gave him our regular goodbye hug on the bridge. I waved goodbye to both him and Skye as I walked back across the bridge. I looked to the end, expecting to see Vander like I always do, but this time, it was Sevika, and by the look on her face, something was happening.
Something bad.