chapter 7

Zuko didn't come to dinner.

Katara didn't know whether to cry or to be infuriated. How dare he! her mind-or was that her heart?-heart cried.

She had suffered through a humiliating dinner alone, fighting back hot, angry tears. Not even Iroh had come to dinner. Had there been some memo she did not receive?

It doesn't matter, she told herself stomping back to her room. I am not a guest, after all. I am an employee. Why should I think he'll grace me with his presence at all, let alone every day? I am just some-some Water Tribe peasant he's hired, not-not anything...special...

But her breath came in heavy heaves and she struggled to maintain her composure, at least until she got back to her room.

She wanted to pack, to leave and go home immediately, but then she stopped and allowed herself a minute to think. She wasn't a child that made decisions based on whim, not anymore.

She noticed a few sealed letters on the table in her sitting area and she lit a candle to read them.

He father had written to say he missed her but was proud of what she was doing-willing to do-for Nali, and not much else.

Sokka wrote to ask if her last message had been code for "Help, I'm being held against my will!" but she knew he'd be getting her new letter any day now and it would answer that ridiculous question.

A letter addressed from Toph had three words scribbled in it: On my way.

Katara groaned and buried her face in her hands. She did not need people coming to her aid just because she had gotten herself into a slight...rut. Toph couldn't even know about this latest issue, why was she coming at all?

She stood to undress when there was a knock on her door. Slipping behind her dressing curtain, she called out, trying not to sound too curt, "What?"

The response was faint and muffled from behind the door.

What more could this palace ask of her tonight?

She sighed as she reached for her robe. "Just come in," she called. She heard the door open as she tried to pull her hair back quickly. "I'll be right out."

"All right."

She nearly choked at the sound of Zuko's voice.

She had thought it had been on of the servants! Nali's nurses, maybe, but not...Zuko!

Her eyes flew down to her attire...or lack there of, her face quickly growing warm. The shift barely reached her mid-thigh and the robe didn't cover much more. She closed it and tied the waist belt securely, praying her face wasn't as red as it felt.

She stepped out from behind the curtain, arms folded across her chest, keeping her eyes low. His back was to her, but he turned around when she cleared her throat.

His eyes widened momentarily, taking in her dress, but then he swallowed and bowed slightly. "I'm sorry to bother you, I just-"

"It's all right," she said abruptly.

He looked up at her. "Right."