Chapter Seven: LEILA

I have two important life goals. One, do enough good deeds and be a good Muslim, so that I end up in Heaven. And two, find a good job after graduation, so that I feel good about getting married and eventually having kids. I do understand that this turns into four life goals (no need to teach me math), but two of them are the main ones that branch off into the little ones.

But now as I currently sit in this interview, listening to how this lady wants to start me off with a position that has nothing to do with my degree and suggests that I might finally be promoted into doing something my degree-related in five to six years, I know this is not the job I'm looking for. I already have a non-degree related job at the nursing home, which I might quit if I end up embarrassing myself in front of Salar. But let's hope that doesn't have to happen because I'd like to spend some time glancing at him.

Focus, Leila. This isn't about Salar. This is about a job.

"You know," the lady eventually says. Sorry to say, I've forgotten her name. But this is a nice place because there are a lot of visible minorities, and I don't feel like she's talking down to me even as she says, "I don't think this is the job for you."

I smile, holding back my too eager nod at the fact that she understands. "I don't feel this way either."

"I'll keep you in mind but you should continue looking elsewhere."

"For sure. Thank you," I say, and then exit the place. Once I'm in my car, I check my phone which was beeping during the interview. There are a couple of texts from my older sister asking me where I am because apparently Aabo was asking for me. I'm pretty sure he wants me to run an errand for him. I ignore my sister's text for the time being and glance at Ariah's, who has texted me for the first time since she's left. I haven't told her about Salar yet, but I would hate to intrude on her vacation.

When I open up the chat, I realize it's not an actual text. It's a voice message.

Are you missing me, Leila? I'm on the plane, about to land soon. Let me entertain you.

And then, with that she began to hum.

It's the same stupid tune she hums all the time. On second thought, I shouldn't call it stupid, considering her story behind it.

The thought of the time we talked about her humming makes me giggle, not because of her, but the person we met. It was back in our high school days, when I'd met a beautiful boy in grey sweatpants.

"Why do you hum that same stupid tune?" I had asked her once.

Her lips curled upwards, the action more so appearing to be done out of politeness than true joy. She kicked a pebble, her gaze following it down the drain. "It reminds me of my mom."

"Did she pass away?"

Ariah's eyes widened, and instantly she shook her head. "No, Allah forbid. She's alive. Please, don't accidentally consider her dead." Then she laughed, and I found myself joining in. "But, I just meant, I don't see her often. And she used to hum this song at night to me and my... uh, she used to hum, and so I picked up on the tune."

"Is her humming as broken as yours?"

"No," Ariah answered. "Those with broken hearts are the best singers, you'll sometimes find."

"So, you're saying your mom's heart is broken?"

Ariah shook her head. "I'm just saying, my heart isn't broken. I'm a happy person who will continue to hum this way. Sorry dear, it isn't so easy to break old habits. And–"

She paused, as hard, laboured pants filled our ears. We turned around, glancing at a boy in grey sweatpants, who walked behind us. From then, we saw him everywhere we went, and he was nicknamed "grey sweatpants," not only for his clothing but something else... which is not really an appropriate reason to discuss.