Chapter Thirty-Seven: LEILA

Oh. My. Goodness.

What are the chances that I just saw the same fountain Salar said he used to dream about? But it doesn't make sense, unless this is another one of Salar's tricks, his play on words to get me to believe him and question the reality around me.

I need to find him and figure out the truth.

There are countless hallways to search down, and so many people around me, so I have to be smart about this. Where did I last see Salar and where would he likely be now?

I saw him during Ariah and Madyan's nikaah. He'd been sitting next to me near the back, watching the two, and he'd worn a poker expression. I had expected him to pull out a weapon and hurt Auntie Omaiza. But he hadn't. Instead, I found he had been watching Ariah and Madyan the entire time, and at one point when her eyes had searched the room, he'd almost moved forward, as if wanting to be noticed by her.

When Ariah had said, "Qubool hai," he'd inhaled, as if expecting a different answer. And at the end of the ceremony, he had rushed out of the hall, claiming he needed fresh air after being in the company of royal brats. I don't know why he is so dramatic.

That was the last time I had seen him, before Ariah had pulled me away, toward her room.

Now I think I know where I could find him. Perhaps, near Auntie Omaiza? I have to hurry before he does something stupid. The original plan had been to get Salar arrested, but now I don't know how well that will work. Because what if Salar is the missing prince?

On my way to find Auntie Omaiza, I end up bumping into Rami. Well not physically bumping into him, but I find him in the hallway with a bunch of photographs. Is this the hallway he mentioned with Ariah's photo?

He glances at me, at my dress–which I now know is called shalwar kameez–before he says, "Are you lost?"

"No, I just wanted to see the portrait of Ariah you mentioned."

Rami's brows furrow, before he pushes away from the wall. "Would you like us to show you?"

I can't quite get over Rami being nice to me. Like does he just want me to fall in love with him? No, focus Leila, I'm here to find Salar.

Still, I raise my hand and fix my hijab, in the process wanting to show him the rings he got me. But he doesn't seem to notice, so I nod and follow him down the hallway.

As Rami leads me down the hall, I stop at a photo of three young children, sitting on one throne. Well, two of them are sitting, leaning against each other, while one is on the arm of the throne, his legs crossed, eyes fixed on the camera, and lips curved up in a small smile. The cute boy's on the girl's side of the throne. I know it's Madyan because of his green eyes.

And the girl must be Ariah because she still looks exactly the same, then the boy next to her, it's Kalen. I try to determine if that's Salar, but at first glance, I can't quite tell.

But the longer I look, perhaps, there are some similarities in the way Kalen and Salar stare, as though not quite sure what they're looking at.

"This is so cute," I say.

"It is," he answers, softly and then moves along, leading me to changing pictures that mark Ariah growing with age. We stop in front of the painting Rami had gifted Ariah, of her on the throne, wearing a tiara.

"Is that the same crown she was wearing today?"

He shakes his head. "No, the one in the picture is her own. It was made for her, specifically. The one she wore today was her mother's."

Ariah never told me about her mother, and though it's not my business to know, I ask, "How did she pass away?"

"Cancer. She's never mentioned it?" I shake my head. Rami shrugs in the slightest. "We should go. The reception will start soon. Would you like us to walk you to the ballroom?"