Chapter Forty-Three: LEILA

I have never quite seen anyone look so solemn, concerned and angry the way Dadi Jaan looks at Ariah. But Ariah seems oblivious to the stares–the gazes of all of her family members–as her eyes find mine. Whatever it is she wishes to say, she's locked me out of the secret, because I have no idea what she means to share.

Finally, she looks back at her grandma, and bows. "Thank you for letting Deen's janazah happen on time."

"We'll do more for Deen. We'll have prayers, and send out food to the orphans and build a masjid in his name," Dadi Jaan says, as if listing the chores that need to happen for the day. But under her monotone, there's an underlying sadness clear in her features.

Ariah lowers her gaze, her fingers clasped tightly on her lap.

I'm not sure why I'm here. I'm intruding on a personal family matter, but Ariah asked me to come, and I did. But now, even though she sits next to me, our shoulders nearly touching, it feels like she's oceans away.

"There's something else we called you all here to talk about," Dadi Jaan says. Her gaze settles on me, and she must wonder why I'm here, when not even all of her children have been invited to the meeting. It's only Ariah's dad, Madyan and his parents. And of course, Rami, who barged his way in even though I'm pretty sure he wasn't invited. "A body was found in the tunnels."

My heart patters, and I think for a moment, they found Salar. Even though when I saw him last, he was in the infirmary. Ariah squeezes my hand gently, her eyes on her grandmother.

"Whose was it?" Rami asks.

"We're not sure yet," Dadi Jaan answers. "But the person shot themselves. And the cameras show him running through the same place Deen was found."

There are suggestions thrown back and forth on how to proceed, before Auntie Omaiza suggests she and her family–not sure if that includes Ariah now–return to Emir.

Once their conversation ends, Ariah says, "Leila and our other friend will be returning to Calgary. We'll go drop them off."

"You must stay here," Dadi Jaan says. "You can't leave so soon, without knowing if the danger has passed."

"Deen died in the palace," she answers, venom laced in her tone. "A body's been found in the palace. If anything, we should all leave from here, because the danger seems to be in the palace."

Dadi Jaan sighs, and before she can complain, Madyan adds, "We'll go with them."

"Madyan," Auntie Omaiza says.

"She's our wife now, Ma, we can't let her go on her own."

Ariah smiles, looking at him. But there's something strange about the sight, as though she's forcing herself to feel, to speak, and really she's hollow on the inside. "That's so sweet of you, May. What would we do without you?" And then she rises, bowing to Dadi Jaan. "Please excuse us, we would like to go pack our belongings."

"How long will you be gone for?"

"We haven't decided yet," she says.

Dadi Jaan dismisses her, and only when she's gone, leaving me behind, she says, "Has she spoken with anyone about all of this... about Deen? She doesn't appear to be doing well." Dadi Jaan's eyes turn to me, and I shake my head. The last time we spoke, she refused to fight with me. And earlier, before this meeting, Ariah had only appeared at my room, after going AWOL for two days, and asked if I wanted to come. Other than that, she'd made no indications of our conversation.

Still, it seems they expect me to produce some answer, because I've spent the most time with her. So, I say, "She tends to pretend everything is okay until it really is. That's how she lives."