Chapter Fifteen: LEILA

I examine the nursing home carefully, searching for any sign of Ariah, any print she might have left of her existence. I don't know what I expected Ariah to do, maybe cause a fire or something just as extravagant to find Salar.

But there is nothing that signifies her presence, nothing that speaks or screams at me, blaming me for the monster I've let loose. Gosh, I really need to stop thinking of Ariah as a celestial being.

The double doors flap against each other, one of them hitting the back of my shoe. I stumble, composing myself just as three sets of eyes turn to me. Salar tilts his head, plastic spoon lifted to his lips before he pulls it away, and asks, "What are you doing?"

"Inspecting the place," I answer. Did Ariah check in the kitchen yesterday? Because this man always seems to be at work and most of the time can be found in the kitchen, shoveling down leftover food like a hungry beast. But at least, he is always kind about it, always complimenting the chefs, washing the dishes and promising to return his next shift for more food.

He regards me carefully, a smile tugging at his lips as I turn around to walk out of the kitchen. "Are you not feeling okay?"

I swap his hand away, before he can touch my forehead.

"Do you want to hang out with me tonight?" What am I supposed to do today? Salar takes away my ability to think. I check the schedule on my way out of the kitchen. Right, laundry. Salar follows me out, watching me struggle to grab the trolley with towels and gowns, before I make my way to the rooms.

"You. Me. Date?"

I feel my neck warm. "Not with me. I mean, I'll be there, but my other friends will be there too. We'll do archery and go to a buffet."

A part of me is hoping that he'll refuse. If he does, then Ariah won't be able to embarrass me.

He shrugs. "Sure. With Ruaa and the rest, right?"

"No, they're actually friends you haven't met before. Ariah and then her fia—friend, Madyan... ?" I'm not sure if I'm meant to say who they are to each other and if it is okay to say anything about them. I peer over my shoulder, afraid that Deen will pop up from somewhere and claim that I've broken the contract.

His gaze lowers, something in his expression changing. Or I might have imagined it, because when he looks at me again, a casual smile returns. "Ariah and Madyan," he repeats as if trying the taste of those names, but I can't tell whether he likes it or not. "Won't it be awkward? I don't know either of them."

"I don't know Madyan—" when Salar stares at me, brows furrowed, I add, "that well. He's a good guy though. He'll need someone to hang out with because Ariah's always into me."

"Into you?"

I pause in front of the first room, grabbing a towel and gown. "Let me tell you a secret, she's kind of obsessed with me."

"Oh, ha ha," he says. "Just like you're obsessed with me?"

"Totally," I shoot back, and he doesn't follow me into the room.

He chuckles, a low rumble before he nods. "Sure, I'll come. Text me the address and time."

Great, now I have to prepare for an absolutely awkward night.

When I turn around, I notice his black shirt, a white panther printed on the front. "Nice shirt."

He pulls the shirt away from his chest to glance down at it. "Thanks, I painted it myself."

Startled, I ask, "What? You paint? You also make rugs. Why are you useful?"

Salar pushes away from the door, shrugging. "I have a lot of time on my hands." And then, he begins to walk down the hallway, leaving me behind. "I'll see you tonight."