Chapter 12

Nya yawns as she gazes out the window of the moving truck. She couldn't believe she was sitting in it again. She couldn't believe that she got caught and by whom. She peeks over at her captor. Her eyes landed on his hands gripping the steering wheel first and she couldn't help but notice the strength that emulated from them. She follows his arms up to his chest and notices subtle vibrations of his shirt moving from his heart seeming to slam against his ribs. She looks at his face harshly glaring at the road and sees a vein in his temple, beating a mile a minute. "Are you okay?"

He shifts his focus on her and when their eyes connected holy hell she realized she couldn't handle it. It was like he was reaching into her body and touching her soul. Is this the side effect of having his blood pumping in her heart?

He opens his mouth like he was about to say something but instead rolls his eyes and looks back at the road.

She releases a breath. "Can we keep this a secret... From Lee?

He keeps his attention on the road.

"She'll never trust me again, and I could just imagine the hovering she'll do if she finds out. She already has enough on her plate. She feels responsible for filling the role of her father, but that's a hard job."

"You don't think she can do it?"

"No, I know she can. She just won't be happy doing it."

"I see."

"Don't you want her to stay?" The question slips out. She bites her lips, almost muttering an apology, but instead presses on. "If you let me leave, she'll stay. I know her. She cares for everyone and will make sure they are all in safe places but she won't leave me."

"If Malina is going to stay with me she has to make that decision whether you are in the picture or not and I don't like victory by default."

"It's not by default, she loves you. If you give her the option to put herself first she will never take it. I'm sure you know that about her already. I would be setting her free of the responsibilities and obligations she has towards me."

He rolls his eyes. "Enough... You're so concerned with wanting to do right by her that you're setting me up to do wrong. If she were to find out that I let you go, how would she feel?"

That hit the pit of her stomach. "Betrayed."

"Seems like you're not all the way dumb."

She let her mind meditate on that and didn't say another word for the rest of the ride, even when he pulled into the garage of his mansion and not in front of the apartment. She follows him through the back door and into the kitchen. She knew her way to the front door from there and was heading to it when she heard.

"Where do you think you're going?"

She turns and looks as he hangs his keys on the wall.

"Back to the apartment... to sleep."

He smiles, like a- you're-not-going-to-fool-me, kind of smile. "Even if I believed you, you wouldn't be going anywhere."

She furrows her brows. "What? Why?"

"Don't read into it mutt. Pick a bedroom and go to sleep." He steps closer to her. "I'm going to take a shower, and I'll be listening to your every move." He got so close she had to bend her head back to look at him. "You won't get far... is that clear?"

She nods.

He passes her and goes upstairs.

She wanders around for a bit until resting her bottom on the living room sofa. It was officially super late and her body knew. She closes her eyes and falls asleep quickly.

She wakes feeling heat on her cheeks and beneath her palm. She peeks through her lashes and realizes that she was being carried. She felt so stupid. Here she was again being an inconvenience for others. He told her to pick a bed and she didn't listen. It was the least she could do, but she was too tired to react right now. She was actually kinda comfy. Maybe she was dreaming. Either way, she was too tired to open her eyes. She feels when he lays her down but what she doesn't feel is his weight lifting from the bed and she could still feel his body heat caressing her skin as if he was hovering above her. She wanted to peek again and she tried but it was to no avail. Sleep overcomes her.

~~~

Vince sits behind his desk and places a sphere-shaped piece of ice into a glass. He fills the glass with bourbon and takes the drink back. Immediately after he sinks into the chair and closes his eyes.

"Somebody's feeling better."

He opens his eyes to see Bent leaning in between the open door with his arms folded. "If not being able to sleep is better, sure."

"Stress."

"What are you doing here? Go to sleep."

"They're leaving soon, have you thought about how that's going to affect you?"

Vince shakes his head dismissively. "She is driving me crazy. If she leaves things will go back to normal."

"You really believe that?"

"All I know is I choose what I want and I want Malina. Malina should be my wife and mother of my children."

"But you're giving her up too."

He greets his teeth.

"Look, I'm not saying marry her, I'm saying accept that you care for her, protect her, but don't let her leave. It obvious that-"

"Absolutely not. She needs to get as far away from me as possible."

"Then why didn't you let her go?"

His lips thinned.

"Your words are not matching your actions brother and that's something I'm not used to."

"She is a Rank 4 mutt and she cannot stay here."

"She is what she is but you imprinted on her."

"A feeble mess like her can never be my mate. I know what I need. She has to go." He glares at his brother seriously. "You understand me?"

"Yes sir." Bent nods and backs out of the doorway.

~~~~~~~

Hope you're enjoying 😊😊😊
Your votes and comments are much appreciated... ❤️❤️❤️