CHAPTER xx. 'Ignominious Lady Gele'

゚❁ུ۪ °ₒ 𓂂 ˚ 𓂂 ₒ ° ₒ 𓂂 ˚˖⋆

CHAPTER xx. 'Ignominious Lady Gele'

             The peace between Finan, and Freydis had not lasted long before one of their ambitions collided with the others.

    As quickly as winter ended, spring began and ended just as swiftly. Then, in a perfunctory smolder of austere heat and humidity, Finan and Freydis' relationship of 'you are mine' and so forth melted like a Niflheim incubus in the deepest trenches of Christian hell. For quite a while they could not have enough of each other, it got to a point that Finan would miss his early-morning duel sessions with Sihtric, and Ealhswith was sent to distract the Irish shieldmaiden so the men could have back their bastard Irishman. Then, in a monsoon of swirling guilt, detestment, and misery – Freydis had a realization; perhaps she was not as right for Finan as they both had initially believed.

    Over the course of their relationship, the Irish-rogue learned many things about the man originally unknown to herself. The first one of those fantastic surprises was that Finan particularly favored gift-giving, and surprises. Whilst she enjoyed waking to breakfast in bed, and newly-sharpened blades when they grew dull, she found herself growing quickly abhorrent over his impulsivity. Most of that bitterness, however, originated in her increasing pool of guilt – Finan liked surprised kisses, and hugs from behind. Freydis, moreover, liked hitting people when they trapped her in their arms, and got very nauseous when unsuspecting lips connected with her own.

    It was innocuous to say that the two Irish-rogues were stuck in a conundrum. Whatever meddlesome attempts they made to alter their down-spiraling predicament were unceaseingly inadequate.

    When Freydis found that religiously chewing fish tallow to make her breath repulsive would not stop Finan from wanting to kiss her, or wearing ridiculous amounts of chainmail would not want to make him stop from hugging her – Freydis went onto her next resolution; she would merely avoid the Irishman at all costs until she felt confident enough to proceed with their broken relationship. To start, Freydis decided she was to begin her mission to re-take Linnasburgh from the Danes. Then, once the throne was once again under the delegation of Cian     Ó' Súilleabháinssons heir, she would reintroduce Linnasburgh back to the various kingdoms of Irish Christiendom, Paganism, and so-forth to increase trade, and the overall economy of her beset township.

    Whilst she couldn't necessarily go to Linnasburgh alone, and slay every Dane inhabiting her Celtic town, she was planning to make the mission as easy as possible. Freydis concluded that in order to make this chore somewhat possible, she would need men. She would need an army. So, just as summer solstice wrapped its perspiring hand around the vast lands of Saxia, Freydis took off in the middle of the night with nothing but a pouch of cash in her pocket, and her right-hand shieldmaiden by her side. It was a rather easy affair, for Freydis and Finan had not slept in the same bed for nearly a week by then. All she had to do, to ensure her secretivity, was tip-toe by the Irishman asleep on the floor, and close the door without startling anyone in the home awake. Myfanwy, boarding in an innhouse of Coccham, met her by the exit-gates with nothing but her sword strapped onto her back, and a small sack of bread and empty water pouches for their journey across England – which, more and more to this day, lived up to its name as kingdoms allied and Danelaw ceased in nefarious humps.