CHAPTER xv. 'Ale, Women, and Prayer, In That Order'

゚❁ུ۪ °ₒ 𓂂 ˚ 𓂂 ₒ ° ₒ 𓂂 ˚˖⋆

CHAPTER xv. 'Ale, Women, and Prayer, In That Order'

        Freydis shuffled in the carted wagon she sat in, glancing between Uhtred and the monk, "When Finan told me he was leaving, I thought that meant we would be staying in Coccham." At the front of the line, Sihtric and Finan directed a long line of visitors ahead of the Æthlings' marriage to a young, rich noble Lady. Closer to the end was Uhtreds rapid addition of a carriage, which without warning, he threw both the monk and Freydis into when they emerged from their beds to bid goodbye to their fellow warriors. Whilst Osferth appeared less than affected by the sudden development, Freydis was nervous with her mind swelling with anxiety. Has she rested long, and well enough? The Irish Rogue couldn't risk being lethargic in a battle which was largely unaffordable as Uhtred was still an outlaw of Wessex no matter how daring he may be.

    "I have no place in Coccham," Uhtred clarified, his voice low. "I did not know you had."

    Freydis frowned, leaning her head against the wood behind her, "I had a bed."

    Osferth grinned, "Winchester has plenty of beds... and straw if you are too drunk to get your way back to whereever you are lodging."

    The wagon took to a sudden stop, causing the exhausted Irish Rogue to unintentionally slam her head against the wall. Uhtred stood up, wiping dust and straw off of his furs, "Hoods up, Osferth. Freydis, you stay with him. Find Beocca before sunrise, there is no doubt he and Thyra will allow you to stay the night at his home."

Freydis went ahead to lift Osferths hood over his head, ensuring the sides of his face were securely hidden. "Where are you going?"

    "To find justice for my brother," the Dane-slayer merely stated, pulling up his own hood. He shuffled by Freydis toward the doors of the wagon and swung the doors open. Before leaping out, he turned to face his two artisans, "Do not alert anyone of my presence, we'll all end up arrested."

    Freydis nodded, saluting the Dane-slayer before turning to Osferth, "What shall we do?"

    The monk pushed by her, holding her wrist as he clearly had a destination in mind. They leapt out of the wagon and moved toward a familiar person, Freydis watched as the monk practically scared the Irishman half-to-death as he grabbed him going, "Finan!"

    The Irishman already had his hand on the hilt of his sword, "What the... Osferth, Freydis, yu'r here?"

    Osferth drew them over to a fire, and despite Uhtreds commands, immediately pulled down his hood as he held his hands over the flames. "So, we are inside the walls of Winchester. Where will he go? To Father Beocca?"